Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (erx) - Enable PoE pass through

I enabled POE pass throught like explained in https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/ubiquiti_edgerouter_x_er-x_ka#poe_out_on_edgerouter_x

$echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/export
$echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/direction
$echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value

This works only when the device is powered by the included 12V adapter. When powered with 24V on eht0/PoE IN (or both) the device rejects the new value. From my understanding this is caused by an active driver in kernelspace, rejecting a tranfer to userspace.

$echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio0/value 
-ash: write error: Operation not permitted

The activation of eth4/PoE OUT is not permanent and reverted after a reboot.
Is it resonable to cusomize the solution from Edge Router X-SFP with i2c-gpio-custom to make this change permanent or am I missing something?

Did you try adding those commands to /etc/rc.local? That file is run at the very end of a Linux startup sequence.

Works with and without the 12V power adapter.
Thanks for the hint. I should add this to the Wiki. The different possibilities of powering the device should also be in there.

Maybe you can add, that that file can be edited via LUCI: System/Startup at the very bottom of the page.

Yea, that sounds foolproof. Just copy the lines into that page, save & reboot.

Hi, in the stock rom it's possible to the voltage and current of connected PoE devices, ideas how to get this working here?

The device only supports passive PoE (no 802.3af), Supported Voltage Range is 9 to 26VDC

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.