Ubiquiti Edgerouter install failed. What do I do now?

I tried without the firewall, will try again soon once I'll get in the mood again, as per ubiquiti, the warranty is off once you put third party firmware, so DIY is the only option here.
Thanks for the links!

Ubiquiti TFTP recovery uses a client on the PC to push the firmware to the router. The PC firewall does not block use of a client only a server. A CLI based TFTP client named tftp is included with Windows 10 but you first have to enable it in the Control Panel as a Windows software feature.

This is only possible if the router has TFTP recovery. When you power up the Edgerouter-X with the reset button held down, after about 20-30 seconds all the eth port LEDs should start flashing in an alternating sequence-- even with no cables plugged into the ports.

If it does not do that you do not have the new TFTP-capable bootloader in the flash, and non-serial TFTP recovery is not possible.

1 Like

I just tried the windows tftp client - it worked (I got a successful uploading message).
I got everything back to normal (auto config IP for my computer) disconnected the computer from port
eth 0 and connected it to eth 1, and tried to log in to 192.168.1.1. Seems just as dead.
Any ideas?

Cheers folks

The only image that the TFTP recovery will flash is the special recovery build factory firmware from Ubiquiti. You can successfully upload any file; once transfer is complete the bootloader examines the image. If it isn't recognized and signed properly, the bootloader will not flash it. instead it will reboot whatever is already there.

Quite unbelievably it worked. Don't know what went wrong the last times but I finally got into the ubiquity UI.
Thanks to all.
Now I want Openwrt on it. Any suggestions for avoiding a failed installation like before?
Last time I installed the special .TAR file

Any suggestions?
Thanks for all again!

Correction:
This time I didn't disabled the firewall, for what it's worth

you fix it ?

1 Like

Not sure if it was exactly same issue, but I soft-bricked ER-X when trying to flash it with OpenWrt recently and I've added an update to the wiki page advising people to use the 18.06 mini-image rather than lede-17.01 based one.

@tmomas I can have a go at the page and just remove all mentions of the lede-17.01 mini-image completely, but I didn't want to take such a drastic measures before. Also, the 18.06-based images are hosted by a 3rd-party (http://openwrt.jaru.eu.org/) -- should we be concerned/cache those images?

1 Like

Go ahead and remove what is not working. Someone knowledgeable with the device at hand and willing to improve the wiki is always appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shamefully haven't tried yet. Promise to update with results when I do

I wanna try again now (finally).
Reading the instructions again, I'm confused, so just want to confirm the process:

1. The page (https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/edgerouter_x_er-x_ka) says to flash first with the .TAR file from github (https://github.com/stman/OpenWRT-19.07.2-factory-tar-file-for-Ubiquiti-EdgeRouter-x/blob/master/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-ubnt-erx-initramfs-factory.tar)

2. Then I install the sysupgrade under the router model name

3. Then I'm good?

Thanks in advance/

For the archive:

I have the SFP version. Nothing seemed to work. THE ONLY way I manged to finally install it:

1. Use the stock older version as suggested as a last resort (search @noseratio) on the device page
  2. Hammer the reset button when you can't get a response. Rapidly, a few times, maybe some 5 seconds press as well. Helped with getting it to TFTP mainly.
  3. Used the Tftpd32 software IN THE 64 BIT VERSION, also called tftpd64, worked when the 32 bit version did not.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.