Tx Power regulations

...I was saying this - so that the law was not [possibly] violated while testing.

:frowning_face:

https://forum.openwrt.org/guidelines#stealing

I don't understand what you mean

but thank you for the help.

it's midnight for me so I'm not really fresh, show the output of
uname -a

1 Like

I have no hurrys, if you need to go, go, I'am happy you helped me.

here it is

root@OpenWrt:~# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 4.14.195 #0 SMP Sun Sep 6 16:19:39 2020 mips GNU/Linux

install a snapshot and you'll be ok, that is a mt76 device

2 Likes

just to clarify, I currently am in a house in the middle of nowhere (albeit with fiber optic internet), in the muddle of a valley, with my closes neighbor at 2km away, yeah, that does not change that I may have "broken the law", but I'm sure that no one was disturbed

I don't get what I stole.

"... or for breaking any other law."

thank you, I will try it tomorrow, hoping for success :smile:

yes, very helpful, thank you. /s

If we can match them to the law regdb. Otherwise, there's nothing to discuss or understand mathematically. It's just basic science, math and law.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, rude or mean...and I also said I'm search for the BR regulations. :peace_symbol:

Just to be clear here, the authoritative source for evaluating the legal limits here would be wireless-regdb, OpenWrt can update it to a newer version if necessary, but won't modify it based on your claims or wishes. If you disagree with its values, you'll have to bring up your case upstream, just be prepared to discuss your case based on legal facts, as it will be questioned and cross-checked by developers and legal departments of several interested parties (foremost QCA, Intel and several distributions).

If you want to be constructive, it would be ideal to point them towards a recent change of regulation, rather than stomping your feet and disagreeing with the interpretation of existing regulatory settings - there's generally a reason how wireless-regdb came up with the current settings and reading into the finer details of (often-) overlapping laws isn't always easy.

OpenWrt tries to follow regulation as well as possible, discussions to actively breach your local laws is not welcome here.

4 Likes

Never was my intention to quote "stomp my feet". I do, yes, want to be constructive, that's why I asked what was the process for that to change, and yes, the regulations are muddy, therefore I won`t pursue this, because people with more knowledge on this area certainly will if it is really wrong, and my problem here was with my router, not regulations, something lleachii missed some ten times or so, and a grate user that joined latter solved very fast, in any case, my intentions are clear for anyone that read what I said, and my problem was actually with the router, and has been addresses, not with the regulations, and certainly not trying to bypass them, even if it is my personal belief that they are stupid, and they can, and should be questioned when different countries have different laws, more so when our institutions are corrupt and do not serve the people, as they should.

Also it became clear to me now, something that wasn't before - and that should be the main take away from this, and if this is marked as solved I asked that this be marked as the solution - the tx power limit is set by regdb, and openwrt simply uses it, something I thought was internal to openwrt before learning this fact, any problems with this (eg. someone thinking it is incorrect) should be treated directly with them, and consulting the limits they set is also easy, for those curious, and can also be done directly on openwrt (as i understand it) with the command iw reg get

As for openwrt and the community, I argue that in some way you could consider using this a breach of "norms" and maybe in some case the "law", as manufactures try to prohibit us to tinker with products that we, the consumer bought, and are then by definition ours, for those standing besides them as if they wore the holy texts, and nothing can questions them, I think civil disobedience is a fair and moral thing to do in these situations, and many of these products wouldn't be running openwrt without breaking TOS, and maybe other "agreements", so think twice what you stand by with such determination, laws are made by humans, and same as us, are fallible, and that's something that should never be forgotten, never forget, the apartheid was in fact legal.

1 Like

I was taught in school and in licensing courses not to alter radios to jam other people. This is international regulation unrelated to any single nation - radio wave can travel across borders and they do not need passports. If one alters a radio, it has to be tested and calibrated - you cannot simply "increase power" like most layperson believe. I wasn't taught that possibly jamming others possibly on band unrelated to WiFi was ethical, legal or being a good citizen - and hardly an act of civil disobedience. It could endanger lives!

In some countries, such alterations are a serious violation of military operations even - and you won't see civil authorities for violating it.

It's usually "people" - such as yourself - that are unaware of radio theory (not the law) and that they could actually jam everyone trying to use WiFi...or what's called a "harmonic frequency" totally unrelated to 2.4 or 5.4.

Social concepts must differ in South America.

I think you confuse Terms of Service with the law authorizing you to transmit on radio frequencies. I also think you forget the owner of a website can restrict the conversation as they please, including not allowing suggestions of violating the law - or making a non-official regdb.

but the problem here is not regdb, you can see that from iw phy.

1 Like

I figured it out!

• This radio is calibrated for China!
  • This radio is only certified for use in China
    • Hence it contains no other Radio Regulator's mark but the CCC (e.g. the US's FCC, or the EU's CE, nor Brazil's Anatel etc.! :bulb:

(China does have a different 2.4 and 5.4 band!)

You're not gonna like this response:

At worse - it seems this device may only be legal to use in China (or countries recognizing the CCC's certification - I should note, in the US it's illegal to import it). At best, it simply won't work well operating out-of-specifications - meaning REGDB may likely be working as intended..

It may be working to its [calibrated] specifications. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Side note - China only accepts their certifications...and I don't know many countries that accepts theirs.)

2 Likes

man, seriously, you are insufferable.

I'll let you know when I create a black hole with my router. /S

People here can only give you an advice that abides by the law and the regulations. What you do after that is your own business, any you don't have to let us know about it, even if it's the mere action of creating a black hole.

2 Likes

If this helps:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/routes_configuration

I think the problem may be, that the OP doesn't understand why the radio might act that way if it's calibrated for China...or what calibrating a digital radio for a certain band actually involves...or why a out-of-tune radio may be configured to Tx with low power. :wink:

(e.g. just looking at the Chinese band plan can show there may be filters in place)

This has nothing to do with the law...it does have to do with the law governing the people who made the device (as I noted before - "the compliant party")...that has to comply to the Chinese regulations at certification testing! :bulb:

So...it's easy to complain about the law or even a simple file...instead of understand that radios aren't magical creatures.

EDIT:

@alemoh1234