Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and looked around and couldn't find anyone asking something that's similar to my situation.
I have a setup like this:
DSL ISP ──────► ISP Modem │ │ into WAN port-│ ▼ Powers main network OpenWrt 1 ─── DHCP server │ Assigns static leases │ into LAN1 port-│ ▼ Only extends network OpenWrt 2 ─── DHCP disabled !! fails to resolve .lan dns !!
- has DHCP enabled and is intended to be the router which manages the entire network
- its hostname is
router, so it provides
- it also has a few assigned static leases, such as
- OpenWrt 1's LAN1 port is connected to this devices LAN1 port
- just intended to be a WiFi access point to the main network (extending the network further away)
- DHCP is disabled, all devices connected to this get IP addresses from OpenWrt 1
When connected to OpenWrt 1's WiFi network, I have access to all the hostnames created by the static leases (i.e.,
My problem is the devices connected to OpenWrt 2's WiFi network: they cannot seem to resolve these hostnames for the static leases.
How can I debug this? I've tried various options under
Luci -> Network -> DHCP and DNS to no avail.
nslookup server.lan on OpenWrt 2 returns an empty response.