[TUTO] OpenWrt UNOFFICIAL Redmi AX6

A little guide on how to install @robimarko's openwrt on the Redmi AX6.
(I plan on proposing some changes to the wiki page to include all this).

Gaining SSH access (using another router)

1. Check the version of the official firmware, I only tested with version 1.0.16 and 1.0.18. If you don't have those versions, please go to the dowgrade section.

2. Reset the AX6 (just to avoid any problem with existing configuration).

3. Connect the AX6 to internet for initial setup, once that's done disconnect it: if you're too slow it can update itself whenever it wants (even when an ssh session is open)...

4. On the second router (B),

• On the interface tab set the LAN IP to 169.254.31.1 and disable the DHCP (I just disabled DynDHCP on the wifi created on the next point).
    • create a test wifi (I use WPA2/PSK for security since it's a temp network) network with easy SSID and PASSWORD (you'll need them later).
    • ssh inside it and create a file /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/admin/xqsystem.lua and add the following code:
    module("luci.controller.admin.xqsystem", package.seeall)

function index()
        local page   = node("api")
        page.target  = firstchild()
        page.title   = ("")
        page.order   = 100
        page.index = true
        page   = node("api","xqsystem")
        page.target  = firstchild()
        page.title   = ("")
        page.order   = 100
        page.index = true
        entry({"api", "xqsystem", "token"}, call("getToken"), (""), 103, 0x08)
    end

local LuciHttp = require("luci.http")

function getToken()
        local result = {}
        result["code"] = 0
        result["token"] = "; nvram set ssh_en=1; nvram commit; sed -i 's/channel=.*/channel=\"debug\"/g' /etc/init.d/dropbear; /etc/init.d/dropbear start;"
        LuciHttp.write_json(result)
    end

• And check that the URL http://169.254.31.1/cgi-bin/luci/api/xqsystem/token returns someting like this
      LUA output
  5. Back to the AX6 (plug your computer via ethernet to it):

• Retreive the STOCK value when accessing the AX6 main IP address: http://192.168.31.1/cgi-bin/luci/;stok=b15330190f358b94211c9ab47b92b528/web/home#router so the STOCK is b15330190f358b94211c9ab47b92b528 (be aware that it changes every once in a while so if nothing works refresh the GUI page of the AX6 and retry with the new STOCK value).
    • Connect it to the router (B) by accessing the URL: http://192.168.31.1/cgi-bin/luci/;stok=<STOK>/api/misystem/extendwifi_connect?ssid=<SSID>&password=<PASSWORD>.
    • After some time if everything is OK, the page should return something like this: {"msg":"connect succces!","code":0}. If that's not the case look at the Troubleshooting section.
    • then go to http://192.168.31.1/cgi-bin/luci/;stok=<STOK>/api/xqsystem/oneclick_get_remote_token?username=xxx&password=xxx&nonce=xxx and you should see the lua output again.

Now you can SSH at 192.168.31.1

Login is root.
The password can be found with your SN here.

Once your logged in as root, execute those lines in the terminal:

nvram set uart_en=1     # enable serial port for write
nvram set boot_wait=on  # wait for the user a key on boot for UART access
nvram set telnet_en=1   # enable telnet
nvram set ssh_en=1      # enable ssh
nvram commit

Installing openwrt

Get the .ubi file for the AX6 router (you can find one on robimarko's github).
You can either wget or curl it or send it from your computer via a scp command.

In the SSH shell, type nvram get flag_boot_rootfs and see what you get.
If it's 1:

• You'll have to flash the file on the /dev/mtd12 partition like so:
    ubiformat /dev/mtd12 -f /tmp/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-redmi_ax6-squashfs-nand-factory.ubi -s 2048 -O 2048.
  • Once that's done you'll have to execute:
    nvram set flag_last_success=0
    nvram set flag_boot_rootfs=0
    nvram commit
    reboot

Else if it's 0:

• You'll have to flash the file on the /dev/mtd13 partition like so:
    ubiformat /dev/mtd13 -f /tmp/openwrt-ipq807x-generic-redmi_ax6-squashfs-nand-factory.ubi -s 2048 -O 2048.
  • Once that's done you'll have to execute:
    nvram set flag_last_success=1
    nvram set flag_boot_rootfs=1
    nvram commit
    reboot

After the reboot OpenWrt should be installed and accessible at 192.168.1.1.

After the router boots it should be running the OpenWrt image, but now you need to flash the other partition to be able to sysupgrade without soft-bricking your router by replacing the mtd number with the one of the opposite partition with the command. If you flashed /dev/mtd13 then you'll now flash /dev/mtd12 and vice versa.

Now you have everything installed and should also be ready to go with regular sysupgrade files.

Downgrade the official firmware

1. Download the one of the tested firmware from 1.0.16 or 1.0.18
  2. Upload the firmware to the router using the webUI.
    Upgrade Menu

Troubleshooting

1. At any point you can try rebooting the AX6 or the other router (B) to see if it helps.
  2. When getting a DHCP error I have to set the IP of the AX6 to static on the router (there is a big button you can't miss it).
  3. If getting a 504 Gateway time-out you have to change the security type of the wifi you try to connect to (WPA2 seems to be the one expected by the AX6).

Unbricking the AX6 (with a Windows PC and no UART access)

If you brick your router, maybe by missing to flash the second partition after installing OpenWrt like me.

You'll need to download MiWifiRepairTool (it's the last link).
Plug your ethernet port to a LAN port on the AX6 and connect it to the PC.
Unzip the software and run it.
You'll also need an official .bin firmware.
Launch the software and select the .bin file you downloaded. as shown
first screen
Then click on the bottom right button to go onto the interface selection screen.
interface choice
Then select the ethernet interface where the AX6 is plugged in.
Then boot the router and with the reset button pressed, keep it pressed until you see the status orange light blinking, release the button and wait.
Xiaomi's software should be installing the original firmware which should unbrick your AX6.

2 Likes

For the advanced users, patching bdata is probably a good idea as well, to make uart_en=1/ boot_wait=on really persistent (even over factory resets, OEM upgrades and OEM recovery, bdata contains the default u-boot environment to be applied after a reset, with this changed once, you will always retain these settings). telnet_en=1 and ssh_en=1 are also good ideas.

Disclaimer: I don't own the ax6 myself and am merely extrapolating from the ax3600.

Thanks for the suggestion, how do you patch bdata?

(I've added the ssh and telnet options to the snippet)

A post was split to a new topic: Unbricking AX6

Anyone can confirm this works?

I can... And someone in my DM's has validate it before my post here.

Hi, is it possible to do without a second router ?

yes, but it's described elsewhere. Unfortunately, I didn't try that way.

Confirm!! I just did it.

Thanks for the guide, I was looking forward for this router to be supported in order to by it.

edit
Done all again and now it's fine.
Thanks for the guide.

Have you tried without second openwrt router? I need to know method

I was not able to locate that method of doing without second router. Can you help me?

No. I installed Openwrt in a Raspberry and follow the guide. Maybe you can install openwrt in a VM? I don’t know if this is possible.

Successfully flashed using VirtualBox OpenWRT VM. Anyone need help can ping me here. I will give details here in coming week

Dont know why opkg update is failing. Tried in Macbook browser, its give 404 not found error with these URLs.

Secondly can some explain me how the storage can be improved for installing application. Seems like its not giving the real storage of 128 MB.

I need help. I tried this method but I got "dhcp error"

unfortunately it's normal, since the AX6 isn't supported officially the base URLs for the packages don't exist yet.

Can't debug for sure since I don't understand chinese. but I think DHCP error is because you have to host a DHCP server on your windows system.
Also since I didn't use WinSCP as described in my tuto I won't be able to help you.

At which stage you got DHCP error? I used this guide to setup vm based openwrt instead pf physical router. Rest of the procedure i followed from this forum. Kindly make sure you flash twice.