Turris MOX low bandwith

I have an internet connection with a speed of 1 Gbps, but on the LAN port to my computer, I only get a speed of 500 Mbps downlink and 50 Mbps uplink with my Turris MOX router. Where could the issue be? I have a clean installation on the router with Cat 6 cables, and I have tried different cables without any changes. I haven't installed any applications, only performed basic setup. Interestingly, when I connected a Ubiquiti router, the speed seemed to be symmetrical. Thank you for any advice.

Did you talk to cz.nic? I don't see OpenWrt supporting the turris mox (nor any efforts to do so in the future).

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

3 Likes

Thank you for answer. we will try to solve the problem with cz.NIC first. Have a nice day

We're not the 2nd level support, it's their FW, not ours.

1 Like

Gentlemen, cz.nic/turris:
a) uses an OpenWrt derivative with relatively small changes and a few add ons (but they do occasionally change kernel versions, like using 5.15 to fix the mvebu switch issue)
b) tries (and IMHO succeds) in being a good open source citizen and feeds changes back to OpenWrt and other upstreams, at least those that look palatable (just as OpenWrt keeps a few necessary patches that upstream considers too ugly)..
c) operates their own support team and support forum (however for issues with generic OpenWrt packages they occasionally direct users to this forum, which again IMHO seems okay).

So in this case directing the OP to:

is a great idea, but let's not 'diss' team turris while doing so, they are IMHO doing what they do the right way.

Side note, the mox uses a relatively low clocked arm A53 cpu, which can end up in situations where the CPU limits the throughput, although for simple NAT/firewall/routing 1 Gbps should be achievable, not sure whether that still holds if e.g. PPPoE termination is required.

2 Likes