Trying to make a WNDR3700v1 capture ADS-B data

Hi there, I'm new to the Openwrt/LEDE world and I have an old Netgear WNDR3700v1.
What I am planning to do is put rtl-sdr, rtl_biast,

rtl_sdr:
opkg install rtl-sdr

rtl_biast:

git clone https://github.com/rtlsdrblog/rtl_biast
cd rtl_biast
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
cd src
./rtl_biast -b 1

dump1090:

git clone git://github.com/antirez/dump1090.git
cd dump1090/
make

But the main problem is, I don't know how to install cmake.

At the end of the work I'd plan to get the router to use the RTL-SDRv3 dongle to receive ADS-B data and dump1090 will decode it and act as a webserver and plot the data so the other clients can view dump1090's webpage. The biast has to be enabled or else it won't work since I have an LNA outside at the antenna.

Also, what does it mean when the power LED keeps blinking green? When it does this, the system doesn't really respond to commands and won't reboot through the LuCI web UI.

Building on an OpenWRT "router" is quite a challenge, and may not be achievable for a complex package at all due to limited physical memory, even with USB storage extending the "disk" space and swap. Building as a package within the build system on an appropriate "desktop" Linux machine can be a lot less frustrating.

On the "blinking green" power LED, that typically indicates that the router isn't progressing past the early boot phases.

1 Like

Okay, could I build the packages on the desktop and put it in the Openwrt image somehow and flash it to the router? This way I'd get the Openwrt system with the packages that I need??

For the other comment about the LED, that would explain why the custom startup script wasn't loading. I wonder what was the reason why it wasn't progressing past the early boot phase? That would explain why rtl_tcp wasn't letting be connect remotely to the router, port 1234 wasn't being opened up.

Yes, you could define and build the packages yourself. You'd probably have to create your own package Makefile for those that aren't already OpenWrT-ified.

On packages, in particular

and on installing and using the build system https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/start

Another option, as much as I know multi-use systems are attractive, might be a Pi Zero W. Especially if you intend to connect to Flightradar24 or Flightaware, it might be a lower-maintenance process than building your own packages with every update in those services. I've been running on an "original" Raspberry Pi (256 MB memory) for years now, so the Pi Zero should be "plenty" to handle it.

I've run a similar rig (USB TV tuner and dump1090 + rtl-sdr) on a Mac Mini and RasPi2. Be aware that rtl-sdr can be quite CPU intensive. I'm unfamiliar with your router hardware, but ymmv if it's underpowered.

1 Like