Trying to configure VLAN tagging for NZ Fibre connection

I have a linksys WRT1200AC and currently have the WRT1200AC acting as a switch daisy chained to my providers router and would like to directly connect my WRT1200AC to the wall. To do this, my provider has provided these instructions. however, I've read over here that someone was able to successfly setup my router for the using the same router. I am trying to achieve double tagging and have tried his exact settings to no avail. Granted, that he had made a mistake, I've tried to follow the people's suggestions who posted on the same thread to no avail. Essentially I everytime when I reboot my router after trying to configure it correctly the error says invalid user request. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Here is my /etc/config/network file:

c> onfig interface 'loopback'

option ifname 'lo'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
option ula_prefix 'fd61:6012:c347::/48'

config interface 'lan'
option type 'bridge'
option ifname 'eth0.1'
option proto 'static'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option ip6assign '60'
option ipaddr '10.83.185.1'
list dns '10.83.185.50'

config interface 'wan'
option ifname 'eth1.2'
option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
option ifname 'eth1.2'
option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
option name 'switch0'
option reset '1'
option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '1'
option ports '5t 3 2 1 0'
option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '2'
option ports '6t 4'
option vid '2'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '3'
option ports '4t'
option vid '10'

Don't create a new VLAN. In the switch_vlan for VLAN 2, change the VLAN number from 2 to 10, and change the WAN port from 4 to 4t so that tagged packets go to the ONT.

This will also change the VLAN tag on the CPU side (switch port 6) from 2 to 10. So the wan connection is now eth1.10 instead of eth1.2 Next you need to make the wan interface proto pppoe instead of dhcp and associate it with eth1.10. The existing default wan6 interface can be deleted.

2 Likes

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to accomplish.

The link you supply to Spark talks about using a third party modem. not a third party router. The WRT1200AC you have does not have modem functionality, so you can't just unplug the Spark modem and connect the WRT1200AC to the wall.

If the Spark modem supports it, the best thing you'd be able to do is to set it into bridge mode so that it does PPPOE passthrough, and then your WAN interface (still connected to the modem) can pick up the allocated IP address directly (the instructions above in the post by @mk24 would be used in this case).

Some modems support passing the VL:AN tag through to the client, others don't. I have a Draytek Vigor that can pass it through or not - it's configured on the modem. Often the easiest thing in bridge mode is to not pass the tag through and then you don't have to worry about the VLAN configuration on the wan interface

Which sounds rather a typical PPPoE error than anything related to the VLAN egress tagging. Better check the system log than just reciting from a LuCI printout.

Thanks for the help guys. All suggestions worked. fyi here is my final /etc/config/network file
config interface 'loopback'
option ifname 'lo'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
option ula_prefix 'fd61:6012:c347::/48'

config interface 'lan'
option type 'bridge'
option ifname 'eth0.1'
option proto 'static'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option ip6assign '60'
option ipaddr '10.83.185.1'

config interface 'wan'
option ifname 'eth1.10'
option proto 'pppoe'
option username 'user@spark.co.nz'
option password 'password'
option ipv6 'auto'

config switch
option name 'switch0'
option reset '1'
option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '1'
option ports '5t 3 2 1 0'
option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '2'
option ports '6t 4t'
option vid '10'

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.