Trying to bridge two subnets on the same interface (no separate LAN interfaces)

sorry, just one last question. if I go with the approach of using raspberry pi 4 as the openwrt host (I've seen couple of tutorials on how to do it) do you think it would be wise to use 2 usb gigabit ethernet cards instead of just one ? I have a 600mbit connection by fibre (speedtest detects something in the area of ~440) so if I understand it correctly, if I'd connect the modem with raspberry pi with the integrated NIC (as the tutorials suggest) then it would suffocate at 100 mbits? the current router has gigabit sockets on all the plugs (WAN + 4*LAN). on the other hand, the ethernet -> usb3 would also have some penalty I imagine due to all the translation, right?

The RPi4 has a gigabit NIC so (assuming your current switch is VLAN capable and your connection speed is asymmetric i.e. upload is a lot lower than download) you could get away with a setup where you're only using the integrated NIC. However, for the price of a USB NIC, such as the UE300, I'd highly recommend getting one and using it for the WAN connection. You shouldn't see any noticeable performance penalty from using a UE300, but that may not necessarily be the case for other USB adapters.

amazing, thank you very much!

Before I didn’t see the point of using one eternet cable to the router but I changed my mind.
So when I finally build my ER4 rig I now run ISP fiber to the Switch SFP and put that on VLAN2 and run it through another fiber from switch SFP to router SFP and the same fiber up to the switch again but with all the internal VLANs.

There are some pros and cons with both solutions.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.