I haven’t used my serial cable in a while, and then recently my main router started hanging and becoming unresponsive, about once a week. So I figured I’d connect this up, but found I couldn’t get even basic functionality working from screen.
My environment is
- Macbook host
- Manjaro Linux vm
- ftdi FT232 usb ttl cable
- using screen to connect to the usbTTL
About 9months ago it was working fine. No issues.
Since then, following changes
- macos upgrade to catalina
- vmware fusion upgrade to 11.5
- the majaro Linux vm does not appear to have had any significant changes in the updates list
- I get gibberish output in the screen terminal, unless specify the baud as 115200
- With only the rx pin connected, the led on my usb ttl cable is blinking like crazy so it’s getting data, but the screen terminal remains blank
- Starting screen with
sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200I can see the bootloader of my device, but it never boots up the firmware (fritz7490) which seem to imply that something about the serial cable being connected is interrupting the auto boot of the image. The console is unresponsive to any keyboard input.
- If I fully disconnect the serial cable from the router and restart it, it does boot up fine (I can connect to it from WiFi )
Could anyone suggest what else I could try?
What are all the most common combinations of settings , that I could then test changing one by one?
Edit: just tested the usb ttl cable from one raspberry pi to another , and confirmed it’s working fine using following settings in
115200,8,N,1 RTS: active DTR: active BREAK: inactive CTS: inactive DSR: inactive RI: inactive. CD: inactive Software flow control: inactive Hardware flow control: inactive Serial input encoding: latin1 Serial output encoding: latin1 EOL: CRLF Filters: default