Trouble setting up office network!

let's see this one. it will tell us how the router is trying to route your packets.

root@OpenWrt:~# ip route show
default via 192.168.2.1 dev eth1.2 proto static
192.168.1.0/24 dev br-lan proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.1
192.168.2.0/24 dev eth1.2 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.2.2
192.168.5.0/24 dev wlan1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.5.1
root@OpenWrt:~#

And you're attempting to ping/traceroute from a device connected to the wired LAN on what's called LAN2 on your switch page correct?

you are correct

So you are able to ping from the PC/Laptop connected from LAN? Before you said you were pinging from the router.

I did from both

They are closing the office, Ill be back tomorrow
Thx again for the assistance

1 Like

Pinging from the router seems to work, but from the lan doesn't seem to work. That's pretty odd.

I think @d00m has made a somewhat mess in the config. Leaving everything to default should work out of the box as it does for everyone.

This traceroute seems odd to me because it resolves two local IPs. Also what modem is @d00m talking about? The device in question has 192.168.1.1/24 and Tim one is on 192.168.2.1/24 so how come there is another modem involved at 192.168.100.1/24?

If there is indeed a modem then it should be directly connected to the router in question and everything should work. IMO the Tim interface should be in DHCP protocol and then default_gateway option should be turned on and then LAN will be able to ping outside network. Setting a static IP is not wrong but the mess of config should be avoided when it can be. Also @d00m has put DNSs everywhere. It may well be the case that those DNSs are not working?

Keeping things simple should always be a priority though. So it's better to just remove the extra IPs and DNSs and configure the WAN interfaces Tim and Vodafone to use DHCP protocols and turn on the default gateway option.

from the traceroute

It's evidently the case that the ISP uses private addresses inside its network, that's why the 192.168.100.1 and 172.17.... addresses.

What I don't understand is that it seems the TIM modem isn't in bridge mode and so you're talking to 192.168.2.1 as your gateway, which is the modem itself. Yet in the past you said

so which is it?

If the modem is providing something other than bridge mode (ie. it is acting as a router gateway on 192.168.2.1) then in fact it's probable that DHCP mode should be on rather than a static IP config. If you're using an ip-passthrough mode you also probably need DHCP on.

Nevertheless, it is very confusing that the OpenWrt box can traceroute to the wide internet, and yet LAN clients can not. Regardless of what the situation is with the "right way" to do the TIM config, it does seem to work for your router itself and so the fact that the LAN can't do anything is quite suspicious.

And yet, I don't see anything obviously seriously wrong with the config. The OpenWrt box can ping openwrt.org and the LAN can't... WTH?

1 Like

I wouldn't recommend that!

1 Like

Hello again,

Let me clarify once more, on the very first day (Monday)... TIM connection was setup with bridge mode and PPPoE protocol. It was working for a whole day, until noon the next day. Then it died and i started my troubleshooting. Reset all the config, did firstboot, flashed both firmwares to start fresh (maybe i fucked up). I tired again to do the bridge mode, I would get the public IP on the OpenWRT but have no ping and no trace.

After going insane and contacting you guys, I tired the DMZ poor mans bridge and it still wasnt working. But i was able to get trace on the Router, but not on the lan network.

After that, i tired setting it up as a DHCP client, only to get the same result.

To figure out if my config was bad, I setup the other wan with Vodaffone and everything worked with the DMZ. PPPoE will not work as of Host-Uniq. This working proves that the firewall is setup correctly as the lan is working and the internet is flowing in.

I tried pinging multiple addresses and host names from both pc and router and the results where always the same for the TIM connection.

Reading your comments, I m starting to be more inclined to believe that because I tried to connect through the TIM router in the beginning, TIM got a hold of my MAC on the router (or some other form of identification) realised that i want to split the network (as the line died right when I wanted to add the vodafone network, first time) therefore blocking my access through the device. But this is just a guess, as nothing else fits here....

Also, you are correct in the assumption on "192.168.100.1 and 172.17.... addresses." First one is the default gateway displayed on the TIM router interface.

1 Like

I like to live dangerously!

It's extremely strange that pings work from the router but not from the LAN... And then if you connect to a different ISP everything works... If there were a general problem from the LAN it would make more sense.

1 Like

At the moment the vodafone is stable and the network is holding. Only when there is a restart, there might be problems resolving the DNS. But I tweeked them and now that line is stable. Ill get to dealing with TIM when I can get a translator to speak with them. My italian is shit. Its clear the problem is with them. I might just need to register the router with them, so that they dont think we are getting hacked

I think you should try it from scratch because I believe the current configuration is not working although there doesnt seem to be an obvious issue but something is still wrong so it's better to reset and start again. So please follow the below steps:

1. First put your Tim ADSL modem into routing mode so it can actually provide internet to local devices.
  2. Reset your Openwrt router and let it boot, after the boot completes, reboot once more to let the router configure the overlay.
  3. After the router is finally up, dont change any configuration whatsoever, except changing the password, and just connect your ADSL modem to WAN port of the router (Let's not worry about NAT issues for now). Also make sure that modem has different IP address range than 192.168.1.1. It should provide you internet on Openwrt router along with LAN devices connected to the router.
  4. If everything works then you can configure the modem in bridge mode and use WAN interface as PPPoE and access internet.

I would strongly advise not to use any DNS addresses on your LAN interface and static IPs on WAN interfaces unless absolutely necessary. If you need different DNSs for both ISPs then use the corresponding WAN interface of the ISP and untick the option Use DNS advertised by... so it would be possible to add DNSs there. Please make sure to use DHCP on WAN if possible and tick the option default gateway so that the interface gets identified in the routing table.

Hopefully this should fix your issue.

2 Likes

Did you by any chance install the mwan3 or luci-app-mwan3 package on the router? I had a similar issue today and it turns out mwan3 can be tricky. You'll need to setup mwan3 with both your wan networks before you can use it, otherwise problems occur just as you are experiencing.

A little update, we finally called the guys over at TIM and found out the the Line has been shut off from the 12th of feb right when it stopped working. Oh the irony...

When its back up ill write un update with all the settings and how it all turned out. A week of going crazy, just because the boss didn't pay the bills.

I also followed your suggestion and moved everything to DHCP so now the DNS transition is way smoother, thx for the heads up.

1 Like

:rofl: :sweat::thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.