Trouble Installing OpenWrt Netgear R6220

Hello,

First off I want to say I am not exactly a novice when it comes to these things I have multiple older non gigabit routers with ddwrt and openwrt installed on them successfully.

My issue breaks down to the fact I have formatted my thumb drive multiple times in different file formats NTFS Fat32 exfs and ext3 and my router does not show a connected thumb drive and when I ls /mnt/shares its empty.

I have been scouring the net to a solution to this problem as lately the default firmware has caused massive service degradation to the point every 15-20 mins I have to reset the router to even get half of my bandwidth back and OpenWRT is my solution to the problem everything is hardwired I could care less about wifi functionality.

If anyone could share some insight into this I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Plague

It sounds like you're missing the kernel drivers for the file system(s), possibly the USB drivers, and possibly file-sharing utilities. None of these are typically present in the "default" OpenWrt images.

What steps have you taken so far to install OpenWrt and get it running?

I downloaded the 2 images from https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_r6220

I placed them on the thumb drive as per what I read, plugged it into the router, opened the website link pointing to placing the router in debug mode so I can access the telnet prompt, logged in through telnet and attempted the ls /mnt/shares to see if the USB drive mounted properly and its blank.

I cant get beyond that point am I wrong to assume it has something to do with the way I reformatted this 8gb thumb drive?

Quick edit when I plug the thumb drive into the router it flashes a few times as its being read then stays lit up like it does when I plug it into my pc.

OK, so you're following https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/netgear_r6220#installation

(which, as I read it, is a process by which the user "back-doors" into the router over telnet and flashes from a drive that the running OEM firmware)

Has the router been able to mount drives before under its OEM firmware, assuming it is a feature of that firmware)? (I don't own this device).

What does the command

mount

show?

I swapped out usb thumb drives to one with my windows recovery image on it lo and behold as soon as I typed mount it listed that drive

# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
ramfs on /dev type ramfs (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /tmp type ramfs (rw,relatime)
none on /media type ramfs (rw,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
ubi0:vol_name on /tmp/RWFS type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/shares/U type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp950,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

From this point I am now going to assume that either the drive I was attempting to use has a bad format/partition on it or its just at the end of its life span as I have had it for roughly 10 years now

1 Like

Do you see your files with

ls /tmp/mnt/shares/U

(Ah, it seems like you have traced it to a potentially bad flash drive.)

1 Like

Yea I appreciate you replying greatly as I had been trying to wrap my head around this for a couple hours.
Thank you very much!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.