Trouble changing default IP on OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r11490-d421a8b944

Good evening, I have a pair of un-used TP-Link TL-WR841N routers, on is V9.0, the other is V14.0.

I grabbed the V14.0 one and found the respective image and how to flash it on the OpenWRT wiki, so far, so good.

But I can't seem to be able to change the default IP(192.168.1.1), be it using uci, or changing the network config file, it never changes, even after rebooting for a couple times.

Given that this is a stripped down image, maybe I need to edit some other files?

Best regards.

Please post the output of the following commands:

mount
df -h
1 Like

Good morning tmomas,

moun output:

/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacc                           t,blkio,memory,devices,freezer,net_cls,pids)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp/root type tmpfs (rw,noatime,mode=755)
overlayfs:/tmp/root on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/tmp/root/                           upper,workdir=/tmp/root/work)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)

df -h output:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 2.0M      2.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    13.1M     64.0K     13.0M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                    13.1M     40.0K     13.1M   0% /tmp/root
overlayfs:/tmp/root      13.1M     40.0K     13.1M   0% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

That's your problem: overlay is mounted on /tmp, and /tmp resides in RAM.

TL-WR841N v9 + v14 are both 4/32 devices.
Please mind the warning at the beginning of the devicepage: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd

Explanation of the problem: https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning
What you can do now: https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_432_devices

Honestly, you would be better off to buy a new device with sufficient ressources (min 8/64, better 16/128) for operating with current OpenWrt, which can be had for around $20.

I followed this post:

I know and I have read the warning, I'm aware that its a limited device from the get go.

Its just that I have two of these laying around, and given what I want to do, I though that maybe it should be possible.

I didn't explain in the first post as to not create a wall of text..
My end goal was to have a pretty dumb AP that would allow me to connect devices into one of the four LAN interfaces, and then allow WiFi access to those devices over a WiFi connection provided by the router.

Or in other word, the goal would be to connect the router into a PLC and allow me to program it over WiFi, so I dont have to get up from my office and plug an ethernet cable.

I don't need a lot of functions besides WiFi, and maybe DHCP, the web interface is not working, all the access to the router that I have is via SSH.

But now that I re-read the instructions I see that I failed to follow this step:

Copied the snapshot (openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_tl-wr841n-v14-squashfs-sysupgrade) to the Ram (tmp folder) using WinSCP , rename it to sysupgrade.bin , then flashed it using Putty with this commands :
sysupgrade -v -n /tmp/*.bin

Maybe this is what I'm missing, because I think the remaining steps described are all that I need to achieve the desired functionality.

Maybe you can instruct me on what I may be able to remove from this already minimal image.

Thanks for your responses and time.

Best regards.

Your options are described in the already linked https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_432_devices

If building your own space optimized image does not solve your problem: Buy a new device.

1 Like

Hi, so I think I have a working image, I followed the guides, removed the recommended packages and I ended with this mount output:

/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacc                          t,blkio,memory,devices,freezer,net_cls,pids)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp/root type tmpfs (rw,noatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /overlay type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/up                          per,workdir=/overlay/work)

And df-h:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 1.8M      1.8M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    13.5M     36.0K     13.5M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                    13.5M     24.0K     13.5M   0% /tmp/root
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4          896.0K    212.0K    684.0K  24% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      896.0K    212.0K    684.0K  24% /

I tried to edit the /etc/config/network file, reboot, and the new IP/config is being saved!

Once I get this working I will report back, if you/the community dont mind.

Best regards.

Which image did you build? snapshot, 18.06.5, ... something else?

Good morning, its a snapshot image: r11524-50735df7b2

I can config and have the configs stay, but I can't get the router to connect to the WiFi network, I have the guides, but maybe I removed too much, I removed the recommend things in the minimal image tutorial, plus I removed DHCP, and added the relayd package.

My config.buildinfo (without all the commented lines) contains the following:

CONFIG_TARGET_ramips=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ramips_mt76x8=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ramips_mt76x8_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr841n-v14=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_logd=m
CONFIG_PACKAGE_relayd=y
CONFIG_STRIP_KERNEL_EXPORTS=y
CONFIG_USE_MKLIBS=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libip4tc=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libpthread=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libxtables=y

Best regards.

Another option you have is to put all your pre-configured config files into the firmware. They will not be modifiable without rebuilding the firmware, though.