Travelmate support thread

It's just an dynamically generated button label which uses the device name (e.g. 'radio0') plus hwmode (e.g. '11g') from /etc/config/wireless.

1 Like

That makes sense - thanks!

Funny, that file says 11g, but LuCI says 802.11bgn. No idea why, but no biggie.

LUCI is also probably looking at your htmode variable as well.
This is purely a cosmetic thing it won't affect the scans.

Sounds reasonable - thanks!

I have a question, maybe someone can help me.

I tried to use travlemate on a portable router. I installed it and thought everything worked fine. But now I am abroad. I can connect my laptop to the router but cannot access the luci-web-interface to add the local wlan.
With my android I even cannot connect to the wlan, because i cannot get a ip-adress.

I think I have a problem with the dhcp config.

Does someone can help me? This would be really nice.

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a travel router using travelmate on a GL.iNet GL-AR750 using OpenWrt 19.07.0-rc1.

Travelmate itself appears to be working well.

What I'm having trouble with is getting travelmate to play well with a wireguard tunnel to an Algo server I run.

The tunnel is set up, and traffic (and DNS) route through the tunnel just fine from the AR750. What is not working is getting DNS to work for a machine connecting to the travel router.

Does anybody have any hints on how to work this?

(I could, in principle, try tunneling to my Algo box using IKEv2 instead of wireguard, but I like wireguard's performance. I'd like to get this working if I could...)

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Errr, nevermind. I found my misconfiguration. Everything appears to be working now.

Sorry for the noise. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Maybe you're willing to share your working road warrior setup for others - just in case someone else is interested in a wireguard tunnel ... :wink:

Said that, automatic VPN handling is planned for travelmate 2.x ...

2 Likes

I have about page of notes I made to myself so that I wouldn't make the same mistakes again the next time I tried this setup. If you like, I can put them up in a gist or something.

If I do that, I'll also edit my configs to redact the sensitive stuff, and put them up in the gist also.

Useful???

1 Like

OK. Here (in all its messiness) is a working config for my travel router using a wireguard tunnel for all traffic.

I expect to need some manual mucking around with firewall zones in order to use a new captive portal.

https://bitbucket.org/snippets/fghorow/aLRE5k

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

One remark about sta and AP on separate channels: If you use simultaneous sta and ap mode on one radio, the sta and ap will have the same channel.

It's a hardware requirement and you can see that with iw list under valid interface combinations: #channels <= 1. Only certain devices support that mode.

1 Like

Great, many thanks for that! :+1:
Do you have some kind of script to bring up the VPN back again after a WLAN/network switch?

BTW, there is no need to disable the "Rebind Protection" in general. Travelmate automatically adds those captive portals to the rebind exception list, e.g. list rebind_domain 'hotspot.t-mobile.net'

Thanks again!

Sorry, I have no scripts for that.
I'm going to be using this setup live for the first hotel starting next Monday for about a week.
I'm planning on doing those kinds of things by hand next week, and then think about automation later.
BTW, how have people been handling VPN tunnels in the past with travelmate? I certainly can't be the first one to try that?

(It makes no sense to have a clear channel between the travel router and an open WiFi AP. The whole point in my opinion is to encrypt my traffic so others can't sniff it!)

Most probably not ... :wink:
Currently I'm using router based vpn/wireguard setups only for testing (on travel router), cause I don't like the idea to store valid certificate files on a small & wide open router device (which I can lose at any time), usually I use my vpn only on the connected endpoint devices (mobile & Notebook) during travelling.

I have a question about Travelmate and IPv6, I noticed Travelmate creates a wwan interface but not a wwan6 interface will it forward IPv6 from the lan to wwan.

My ISP gives me a /64 on the wwan side will it work properly I would really like to have IPv6 support on my router.

Please try if adding this to your network config will work for you, e.g.

config interface 'trm_wwan6'
	option ifname '@trm_wwan'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

Restart your router or network config after that ...

Hello, and thanks for the great work on travelmate.

Would anyone know where a good place to learn how to script for the captive portal auto-logins? I am having trouble understanding the two examples that come with the package.

In short the captive portal I am facing is a simple web page with an "accept" button to press. Anybody know how to go about automating that in travelmate?

Many thanks in advance.

What is the latest Travelmate version that is compatible with LEDE Reboot 17.01.5?

Question: Can the name and / or ip subnet of the repeated WiFi be the same as the source WiFi? As far as I can see - per default there are completly different networks.
A "real repeater" has same SSID and same subnet, right?

Yes.
It makes sense to use option bssid '<MAC_OF_YOUR_UPSTREAM_AP>' to lock onto a specific upstream AP though.

1 Like