Travelmate support thread

Maybe a radio timeout issue, please try one of the following options:

• increase "trm_maxwait" to "60" and "trm_timeout" to "90"

or

• change line 251 in /usr/bin/travelmate.sh:
    old: sleep $((trm_maxwait/6))
    new: sleep $((trm_maxwait/2))

If this issue still persist, please send me full travelmate debug logs via PM.

I updated the timeout values, restarted the travelmate service, and tried again but no luck. I have the debug logs, where would you like me to PM them to?

Please write to my maintainers address, see online readme - thanks!

Thanks, the bugfix worked perfectly!

1 Like

Fix will be backported to stable 19.07, see https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/13688

Thanks for bringing this up!

I have a problem I posted in GL iNet AR750 5GHz radio0 not working (with/without travelmate) @dibdot I don't know if it's an issue with travelmate or openwrt

Works for me - tested with AR750 (19.07.3, travelmate 1.5.5).
Change the following option in /etc/config/wireless for radio0:

option htmode 'VHT40'
root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/travelmate status_service
::: travelmate runtime information
  + travelmate_status  : connected (net ok/70)
  + travelmate_version : 1.5.5
  + station_id         : radio0/blackhole/-
  + station_interface  : trm_wwan
  + faulty_stations    : 
  + wpa_capabilities   : -/-/-
  + last_rundate       : 2020.10.25-19:46:30
  + system             : GL.iNet GL-AR750, OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46

It did not work.

root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/travelmate status_service
::: travelmate runtime information
  + travelmate_status  : running / not connected
  + travelmate_version : 1.5.5
  + station_id         : -/-/-
  + station_interface  : -
  + faulty_stations    : 
  + wpa_capabilities   : -/-/-
  + last_rundate       : 2020.10.25-20:32:55
  + system             : GL.iNet GL-AR750, OpenWrt 19.07.4 r11208-ce6496d796

I enabled more logging and the scan on radio0 finds nothing, unlike with radio1. Where can I get more logs to find the problem?

Try to set the country as well, e.g.:

option country 'DE'

Also I'm using the ATH10K-ct drivers ... works flawlessly.

I doubt it has to do with travelmate now. I tried flashing openwrt-19.07.4-ar71xx-generic-gl-ar750-squashfs-sysupgrade without keeping my settings, all combinations of ath10k-firmware-qca9887 + kmod-ath10k-ct, ath10k-firmware-qca9887-ct + kmod-ath10k-ct (default), ath10k-firmware-qca9887 + kmod-ath100k, ath10k-firmware-qca9887 + kmod-ath100k-ct, 40/80 as above, N/AC, setting the country to mine / US / default, removing kmod-ath9-ct. None of these work. I might have some wrong settings somewhere even with a new firmware. I don't know what to try. I will post it in my main thread.

Hi,
I was looking into this package as i live now in a place wich has a shared wifi with all the neighbours so i find this very convinient.
Wanted to use an old raspberry pi b+ wich i wasnt using right now but the usb wifi adapters that i had had poor support, only one worked but couldn´t make it run on sta+ap at the same time.
I wanted to ask you know for know cheap routers that could be used as travel routers with latest version of openwrt. With all that implies... being small but powerful enough to work, dual band preferable. I searched a lot before posting this but i really couldn´t find a propper answer... I ended searching on amazon and checking router by router wich didn´t really answer my question cause i don't know if i'm going to find any problems setting travelmate later. So, please... could you recomend me any routers know to work as travel routers, budget and dual band?

EDIT: and just after posting this, i see your post above this talking about the AR750 , thats a good option, right? Could i do sta+ap with this ? i dont need lan at all.

Hi,
my travel routers currently in use are:

• GL-AR750
  • GL-AR750S
  • TP-RE650
  • and finally a RPI4 with an additional usb radio

All of above are working just fine.
I've configured all my devices the same way: My AP is always on the 5G radio and I'm using the 2.4 radio for scanning/for travelmate.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

hi can you provide how to use travelmate with the commands in this guide? https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047411192/OpenWRT-CI-setup-with-NordVPN.htm setting up travelmate after following it all does not work

I'm in an RV park where the available WiFi is public and has no password. Travelmate does not seem to be attempting to connect to any of the four available uplinks I have added to the Wireless Stations tab. I'm not sure what to do, as there are no configurable options!

Please enable travelmate debug and provide full debug logs - thanks!

I think the public WiFi is simply malfunctioning. My own AT&T hotspot device has finally begun working, so the park WiFi is no longer needed.
Thanks

I'm incredibly new to OpenWRT so I am probably doing something dumb.

I have Travelmate running on my device. I have it connected to a phone hotspot. This connection is not consistent since I leave the house and turn it off at night.When the phone hotspot is disabled Travelmate breaks the 5ghz access point and I have to reboot the device to restore it. The kicker, if the hotspot is restored the 5ghz access point is still broken.

It seems like this is the same error but I am not fluent enough yet to tell: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/13688

Let me know what to post and I will get that for you. Thanks!

Edit:
Config:

config travelmate 'global'
	option trm_captive '1'
	option trm_proactive '1'
	option trm_netcheck '0'
	option trm_autoadd '0'
	option trm_iface 'trm_wwan'
	option trm_triggerdelay '2'
	option trm_debug '0'
	option trm_listexpiry '0'
	option trm_rtfile '/tmp/trm_runtime.json'
	option trm_minquality '20'
	option trm_maxretry '1'
	option trm_maxwait '20'
	option trm_timeout '030'
	option trm_enabled '0'

Travelmate is not enabled in your config ... and a leading "0" in the timeout parm is invalid.

Yikes red faced here. It was enabled before and running fine except for breaking the 5ghz radio. I disabled it when I posted this question. Quick question before I waste your time.

Is Travelmate designed to continuously scan until an uplink is found?
I'd like to make the max retries infinite so it will reconnect when my wifi is turned on. Can I make it do that?

Yep, by default it scan every 60 seconds (trm_timeout value). The "trm_maxretry" just controls how often travelmate tries to connect to a broken uplink (default is 3).

1 Like