Travelmate support thread

Yes, if enabled it actively disconnects from the uplink as soon as the uplink provide no internet ... and of cause the uplink will be added to the faulty station list when the max retries has been reached. You could use the Auto Expiry Timer to reset this list after n minutes ...

I've been happily using Travelmate for quite some time now.

1. Is it possible to have Travelmate connect as a client to an Uplink that requires a proxy (No Username/Password)? One of the devices I use to tether requires this to bypass carrier limitations.

2. Has anyone tested Travelmate compatibility with mwan3? I imagine it would require some tinkering with the configs.

You mean an external hook to automate an proxy or captive portal login? I'm working on that, but it's not ready yet ...

1 Like

Hi,
I have installed openwrt 18.06.3 on GL-iNET device with travelmate package. The device basically work with AP + STA mode. I wanted to know if the travelmate package automatically reconnect to an access point in case of losing the connection ?

I tried many times, but i find that the device doesnt automatically reconnect to access point.

regards,
Vinu

Yes, that should happen automatically ... please update to the latest version (manually update to 1.4.10, see download links in the first post) and go from there ...

Just a short "heads up" regarding latest release 1.4.10. I've added a captive portal auto-login hook (configurable via uci/LuCI), where you could reference an external auto-login script. The external login scripts are placed in /etc/travelmate. At this time there is only one example script for automatic logins to the captive portal of german 'ICE hotspots' (wifionice) ... hopefully others contribute valuable scripts for more captive portals in the wild ...:wink:

logfile excerpt from the successful, script based captive portal login:

Mon Aug  5 10:15:48 2019 user.info travelmate-1.4.10[1481]: travelmate instance started ::: action: start, pid: 1481
Mon Aug  5 10:16:17 2019 user.info travelmate-1.4.10[1481]: captive portal login '/etc/travelmate/wifionice.login' for 'www.wifionice.de' has been executed with rc '0'
Mon Aug  5 10:16:23 2019 user.info travelmate-1.4.10[1481]: connected to uplink 'radio1/WIFIonICE/-' (1/5, GL.iNet GL-AR750S, OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r10644-cb49e46a8a)

In LuCI you could add/change these script references in wifi add/edit dialog:

Have fun!
Dirk

very, very noob question!

I'm testing openwrt on my RPI3+ and installed travelmate as well as the luci travelmate app.
I have configured travelmate and setup and connected to my home-wifi as wireless stations.

I'm now wondering how to connect to my RPI3's wifi to use it as extender?

Did I misunderstand the purpose of travelmate or am I having a blonde moment?

@dibdot
I think I figured out what I was missing. I found a quote by you which kinda explained what I was missing and what was not mentioned anywhere in your readme :slight_smile:

Personally I would start with the setup of an Access Point (AP) Wlan interface (regardless of travelmate). Are you really sure that "good" is the name of the hotel WLAN - sounds like a honeypot for me ...

so I have now created a new SSID as Access Point and then my RPI immediately disconnected from all wireless stations.

Can you please explain what I am doing wrong and help me figure this out? I attached the AP I mentioned to TRM_WWAN, is that correct?

###edit###
let me add some more info:

Powered by LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.213.49492-89e029c) / OpenWrt 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292

therefore using travelmate: 1.2.2-1 from http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.4/packages/aarch64_cortex-a53/packages

Hello,

I am trying to get Travelmate to work for a few hours, but in vain so I end up asking here for help.

My setup is as follow : TP-Link MR6400 v1 receives 4G and transmit it to my computer through LAN. However, there is a wireless hotspot with a captive portal where I live, and that is included in my rent so I would like to take advantage of it when the 4G network is overloaded.

So I went to https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/travelmate/files/README.md and downloaded luci-app-travelmate, travelmate, iwinfo, uclient-fetch and dnsmasq. My version of OpenWrt is 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.170.32094-4d6d8bc).

I did the following steps https://imgur.com/a/eOm4KaD (cursor shows the path I followed), but even when I reach the step where it says "connected to...", I can not access the internet, and there is no pop-up in my browser inviting me to connect to the captive portal.

I disabled the captive portal detection for I wanted to check whether I was connected to the internet at all or not.

Unfortunately this is IMHO a limitation of the RPI/Broadcom wifi chipset - you can't run AP and STA mode in parallel, at least with the opensource drivers.

Most probably "Rebind Protection" is enabled in your dnsmasq configuration ... options for you in order to move forward:

• disable the rebind protection (for testing), after that the connection to the captive portal should work. (in LuCI: Network => DHCP and DNS => Rebind Protection)

or

• add your captive portal domain to the domain whitelist (in LuCI: Network => DHCP and DNS => Domain Whitelist)

or

• install manually latest travelmate release 1.4.x which automates the second option.

Anyway, please keep the 'Captive Portal Detection' in travelmate enabled, even in release 1.2.x.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I vaguely rememebr reading something about this regarding openwrt but then I moved to LEDE project and it jsut worked. Now I'm back with openwrt and forgot about it.

Any pointers? Are there 3rd party drivers I can add?
Also, adding a usb wifi dongle should solve the problem? (I mean I could use the built-in wifi for STA and the usb wifi for AP?)
If that could work, which firewall zone would I add the STa and AP?

Sorry, I've never owned a RPI/device with broadcom chipset, maybe my assumption is wrong. Better you search in the forum or ask in a separate thread for AP+STA with such device.

STA is wan, AP is lan zone.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I'll try and figure out what the current situation with broadcom chipsets on some RPI specialized forums, there must be some info out there.

Also, thanks for your contribution, travelmate looks great even though I can't use it at the moment :slight_smile:

I did as you said, but still could not connect to the network (or to the internet at all).

Following that, I tried to uninstall dnsmasq to see if it could solve the problem but it did not (and broke things, so I had to restore a backup).

Edit : Following that backup restoration, I reinstalled travelmate, luci-app-travelmate, iiwinfo, uclient-fetch, but not dnsmasq. And Travelmate works in that it allows me to connect to the access point "orange". However, the captive portal detection does not seem to work, and I do not know how to manually install travel mate 1.4.x (and I am now afraid to brick my router again by doing bad manipulations).

Maybe you should start with a clean installation (Factory reset, see here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset). An installation without dnsmasq can't work, dnsmasq is the default dns resolver in OpenWrt.

I guess through everything I tried to restore the router, I ended up doing a clean installation (since the password was back to root, and all softwares got removed from the router) then loading the backup file.

So the only problem left is the portal detection not working now.

Then give the latest release a try ... download the packages (see first post) directly to your routers /tmp directory (wget ...) and after that, install the packages with opkg. Anyway, if you still run into problems I need full debug logs (enabled travelmate debug).

Companion Luci package for 1.4.11 is missing? My router died, and I just got a replacement, so I have a whole new fresh install. All works except for the dreaded ' in the SSID. I can't find an updated Luci package. The snapshot Luci directory is very small. Maybe a build run crashed?

OK, found it in the arch directory. But now it won't install because it's looking for libssp and there's no libssp......