Transmission always reports listening port closed?

Well, I kinda gave up. I am having this problem for past ..... Id say 4 years. Back in a day when I was using dd-wrt I had IDEANTICAL problem and after about 100 posts about and people simply had no idea what to do I found solution. One day out of blue someone PM me a code and guess what, it worked. Right away I saw port open in web interface and using transmission-remote -pt command.

Code was:

/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 60180 -j logaccept

At that time I had 60180 port in my transmission. And everything was LALA Land. And then I switched to OpenWRT because of MAAAANY issues with dd-wrt and that code no longer worked and since then no matter what I did and whoever I asked.
Only answer I've got so far is: "this is a bug in transmission-daemon" it's incorrectly showing open port as closed. But in reality I am getting 0 seed / 0 peers when same torrent get like 400 seeds and 1200 peers on my utorrent.
So I am not buying it that transmission people can't fix it's program for over 4 years now.

Way I see it we need simply syntax that will REALLY open port we need, because that firewall GUI is not working , I mean it never worked because in dd-wrt without code I had same issues ......

So, anyone can help ? (I lost hope but who knows) .......

chees !

Hm, that is weird. when I disable firewall: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/firewall#temporarily_disable_firewall it does not start working, so I doubt this has anything to do with that, but who knows. Just for the record, I did manage to download something with transmission on my router.

Hello once again. Download was never a problem, Seeding is. Basically after download is complete noone see you. I mean I tried something like Ubuntu ISO seed. Guess what, I managed to give out like 100 meg in 1 hour when my utorrent or any other windows torrent client full blasting if I let it. Really big problem for years now. I don't understand what is happening.

Does anyone have a solution ? I mean why noone can't figure our why ports are always closed in transmission even if no firewall or open port in settings and canyouseeme showinfgall good and you're indeed visible.

Anyone ?

I don' t have an answer, just the same a question. How to forward ports? Same closed port problem for me, this is my first post and my first LEDE and any other modem/router custom install.
LEDE is on my 2nd router, without DHCP with a static IP, DHCP and DNS is on the 1st modem/router. Port 51413 is open on the 1st and 2nd router, TCP/UDP both routers. But Transmission Remote GUI (transgui) says 51413 is closed. My PC takes LAN from the 1st and has it' s own port open for Transmission (transmission-gtk), which works fine letting upload torrents.
I hope if someone finds a solution will post it, Transmission is one of the reasons I flashed LEDE.
Command:
iptables -L | grep 51413
returns nothing for me...

It should not be an input rule, it should be a forward rule, unless the Transmission client is on the router itself.

Can the OP post their firewall rule?

All my port forwards, including for Transmission, work.

@lleachii
Like I said, I am a non-expert, just a little-advanced user. So I don't understand the difference between input rule and forward rule. I found:

root@LEDE:~# iptables -L | grep 51413
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:51413 /* !fw3: tr /
ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:51413 /
!fw3: tr */

here:
Port is open, but transmission says it’s closed
and I thought that this command would give me some extra information about my open ports, but it didn't return any result (positive or negative).
Also, you say:

How did you do that, can you provide some helping advice?

Thanks!

Very simple:

• input rules allow traffic to the LEDE router itself
  • forward (or 'redirect') rules send traffic to downstream devices

So...you need a forward rule.

config redirect
option target 'DNAT'
option src 'wan'
option dest 'lan'
option proto 'tcp'
option src_dport '51413'
option dest_port '51413'
option dest_ip '192.168.1.xxx'
option name 'BitTorrent'

See: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/firewall

I just made a Port Forward (see above). I also make sure that the firewall is open on the PC running Transmission. Hope this helps.

OK... now I see I 'm not even "a little-advanced user", because I was asking:

while I should ask "How to set input rules?"
I should make more clear that I have trouble just with Transmission running on the 2nd router itself, not with Transmission at any PC.
I don't know which is and how to print the file that keeps these rules, just playing I did:
root@LEDE:/usr/sbin# nano iptables
root@LEDE:/usr/sbin# cat iptables
but the file seems encrypted...
Some previous posts where also about port problems with Transmission running on the LEDE device, so I 'll have the solution when they have it too.

@lleachii Are you running transmission on the router itself? That is the problem of this thred. Port forwarding for Transmissoin running on clients is working. See that attached screenshot, are you able to get hte port open there? Screenshot from 2017-12-15 13-29-29

I am not.

Not exactly...

• Did you make a port forward on the first router, and the correct input rule on the second device?
  • If you have it setup on device 1 and device 2, are you using different port numbers for each?

And I have not any Transmission on the 1st router.
In general I have not the solution for the problem with Transmission running on LEDE routers. I am looking for it as many users do.

EDIT: Sorry for the disappointment, glad that I made you happy for some moments!

If you are certain that you have made the correct forward rule on the first LEDE device, and input rule on the second LEDE device, (from device 2) please provide an output of:

netstat -l -p -t

Show line(s) for the running Transmission client.

I still have the same problem. I do have a forwarding rule on the main router and an input rule on the second. The result of netstat is:

root@Home2:~# netstat -l -p -t
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 Home2.lan:9091 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1461/transmission-d
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8200 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1133/minidlna
tcp 0 0 localhost:netbios-ssn 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 Home2.lan:netbios-ssn 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:www 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1178/uhttpd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:domain 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1248/dnsmasq
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:49912 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1461/transmission-d
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5080 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 910/dropbear
tcp 0 0 localhost:microsoft-ds 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 Home2.lan:microsoft-ds 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 localhost:netbios-ssn :::* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 fd1c:b88:440::1:netbios-ssn :::* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 fe80::4a1:51ff:fe8b:32e8:netbios-ssn :::* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 :::www :::* LISTEN 1178/uhttpd
tcp 0 0 :::domain :::* LISTEN 1248/dnsmasq
tcp 0 0 :::49912 :::* LISTEN 1461/transmission-d
tcp 0 0 :::5080 :::* LISTEN 910/dropbear
tcp 0 0 localhost:microsoft-ds :::* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 fd1c:b88:440::1:microsoft-ds :::* LISTEN 1253/smbd
tcp 0 0 fe80::4a1:51ff:fe8b:32e8:microsoft-ds :::* LISTEN 1253/smbd

People who have the upload port problem, which daemon have you installed, transmission-daemon-mbedtls or transmission-daemon-openssl?
I cannot answer my own question because now I have reinstalled LEDE for another reason and I don't remember which daemon I installed before.

I'm on transmission-daemon-mbedtls - 2.92+git-4

Before I had transmission-daemon-mbedtls and the upload port was closed, no upload speed appeared at Transmission remote GUI.
Then I tried transmission-daemon-openssl with the same result.
I removed Transmission.

Someone experiencing this issue should consider filing a bug report at: http://bugs.lede-project.org/

It's extremely odd the that the Transmission software doesn't work after opening the firewall input rule.

Here is the bug: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/5459

1 Like

I have this same problem. I am running transmission-daemon-openssl on the router. I have no problems downloading but seeding and connecting to peers seems to struggle compared to my computer.

I tried following this guide but it got me nowhere:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=62462

So from the github bug report, it is just transmission badly reporting the port is closed - underneath ,everything should work.