Traditional Bridge vs. VLAN Aware Bridge

Hi,

This is more to aid my personal understanding than to fix a problem, but I have the following question. I have a Netgear DM200 VDSL2 modem with a DSL port and a single ethernet port. Internet is accessible on VLAN 101 on the DSL interface and I wish to bridge this to the ethernet port so the device operates in a modem only bridge mode. I also wish to be able to access the HTTPS and SSH management interfaces whilst the modem is operating despite there being only a single ethernet port.

To make this work I created a Driver-level VLAN Interface dsl0.101@dsl0 on the DSL interface and bridged this to a Driver-level VLAN Interface (eth0.50@eth0) on the ethernet port. To accommodate access to the management interface I created a second Driver-level VLAN Interface eth0.70@eth0 on the ethernet port. The ethernet port thus acts as a trunk port carrying both internet and management traffic tagged appropriately. The interface lists appears thus:

1: lo
2: eth0
3: br-wan_vdsl
4: eth0.50@eth0
5: eth0.70@eth0
6: dsl0
7: dsl0.101@dsl0

The br-wan_vdsl bridge has only two connected ports (dsl0.101@dsl0 and eth0.50@eth0).

My two questions are:

1. Is this the 'correct' way of doing it?
  2. It is my understanding that in this config, the br-wan_vdsl interface is functioning in Traditional Bridge Mode. What would this kind of config look like in VLAN-aware Bridge Mode? Would there be any functional differences?
1 Like