TPlink 1043ND Version differences - real world

I am looking at a TP-Link 1043ND for a friend, I wanted to know if there are any issues with the hardware versions, particularly the V3, V4 & V5.

Hardware Highlights

Model ā†“ Version SoC CPU MHz Flash MB RAM MB WLAN Hardware WLAN2.4 WLAN5.0 100M ports Gbit ports Modem USB
TL-WR1043ND v1.x Atheros AR9132 400 8 32 Atheros AR9103 b/g/n - - 5 - 1x 2.0
TL-WR1043ND v2.x Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 720 8 64 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 b/g/n - - 5 - 1x 2.0
TL-WR1043ND v3.x Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 720 8 64 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 b/g/n - - 5 - 1x 2.0
TL-WR1043ND v4.x Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 750 16 64 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 b/g/n - - 5 - 1x 2.0
TL-WR1043N v5 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 775 16 64 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 b/g/n - - 5 - -

See paragraphs Hardware or Tags for more details.

This page talks about a problem with V3 back in 2016

https://jacksontech.net/index.php/2016/07/openwrt-on-a-locked-down-tp-link-wr1043nd-v3-wireless-router/

This is not what you are asking but since it is such an old device I would look at something a bit more modern like a mt7621 device.

I don't see any kind of issue there since Trunk doesn't comes with LuCI.

1 Like

Your absolutely right, that is not what I am asking and I have no interest in that.

What is Trunk, what is the relevance,

I am asking if people have had any issues with any of the 5 hardware versions, the later versions have better CPU and Memory but sometimes one does not find the issues till after.?

So - Trunc is development version of OpenWrt that is built on daily basis.

If you need a stable versions then you need to download it from "Stable" section:

Actually i have one of these devices and they're stable. But as poster before wrote - they're little bit old. And you can get better dual-band device.

1 Like

Apart from v1, all of them should be reasonable to use - obviously more flash (v4, v5) is better, but so would be 128 MB RAM and a second (5 GHz) radio; that said, you're unlikely to find anything but v5 in the current market anymore.

But I'd still like to echo Bartvz and suggest a more reasonable device for buying in 2021 (concurrent dual-band, more flash/ RAM - and 802.11ac instead of 802.11n); mt7621 and ipq40xx come to mind.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying Peter, that is the thing, I am a total newb, I have a specific application and with the 1043 it just works, performance is ok but with two superior routers I tried they just do not work.

So when getting one for a friend I know I can backup mine and copy to another and it will just work, I may even give them mine and start with the hopefully better one.

All of them have a very well known chipset that has had release builds for years. There are no problems remaining.

If you want to "clone" between two units it works best when they are the same version.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply

I think I have a V2, it cost me less than a couple of cups of coffee, I have seen several on eBay for various prices but not that cheap. I will probably hold out until a V5 comes along, currently most are V1 and a few V3.

I have bought other Routers only to find that they have issues with OpenWrt or they just do not work, so I am going to put them back on eBay and treat myself to a decent 2nd hand router.

The R7800 seems good but their prices have gone through the roof, mad prices being paid.