Tp-link w8970 openwrt 18.06.1 reconnecting problem

PPPoE has a "keepalive" option precisely for this purpose.

1 Like

For legal reasons I believe... what is included is what got released in a GPL source package with non-restrictive redistribution rights. Later DSL firmware (including just about all vectoring capable versions it seems) cannot be legally redistributed by OpenWrt so can't be included in the standard images, but you can extract it from another source, install it in your own router and use it - the LuCI DSL settings section allows you to specify the location of a user installed driver file for this purpose. You can also build your own custom image with a known working DSL driver file instead of the standard driver files, which is what I and (I believe) @petepete have done.

1 Like

Inactivity timeout is set to 0
Close inactive connection after the given amount of seconds, use 0 to persist connection

i used openwrt original firmware no any edit or Modify

The option I mentioned is not used to switch the connection off when there is no traffic, it has nothing to do with inactivity.

The "keepalive" option sends LCP ECHO requests to the peer at the other end of the line, and restarts the connection when there is no response.

Have a look at the meaning of this option in the wiki page for the network config file.

1 Like

LCP ECHO is set to 5 this good ?

I usually set it to one request every 5 seconds and 5 lost requests before reconnecting. Try that, and see what happens.

1 Like

the problem ISP restart the internet every day the modem tp-link w8970 some time get ip and some time not.

i used pppoe bridge connection !
try change to routed ?????

In the past I used my own script in cron at specific intervals to try to restart PPPoE connection for my ADSL line. Now I don't use it for reconnection because my router keeps me connected at all times, tested with 4 consecutive days on v18.06.1.

The actual trick is to just kill the vdsl_cpe_control process and start it again through reloading network configuration. The script is here. You can adapt it to your needs. You can just set up cron to run the script every 12 hours and it will reset your connection and acquire a new IP maybe.

1 Like

what the location of script
bin/
etc/ ?????
copy the file adsl-reconnect.sh into bin folder ?
and can be add script if the ip address drop for some time the router is reboot ?

That's up to you wherever you want to keep it but a @mk24 suggested it's better to keep it in /usr/sbin . Just create a file, for example: touch /usr/sbin/adsl.sh will create a file named adsl.sh in /usr/sbin (root) directory. Then edit the file and paste the above script in it. Once you are done editing, run chmod +x /adsl.sh and make it executable.

Then create a cron task:

* */12 * * * /usr/sbin/adsl.sh
# adsl reconnect script will run every 12 hours

Note: ./ is essential to run a script if the path is not in $PATH as suggested below.

1 Like

/usr/sbin would an appropriate place for a script like this. /usr is stuff installed after the initial OS, and sbin means executable files that should only be run by root due to their ability to disrupt the whole system.

You do not need the ./ to execute it if the directory is in the $PATH (as /usr/sbin is).

2 Likes

i go to change the router openwrt 18.06.1 very bad unstable more and more problem original firmware is stable
has reconnect problem with ppoe
try install openwrt 17.01.6 from the web browser http://192.168.1.1
cant install cant down from 18.06.1 to 17.01.6
try install development firmware upload by http://192.168.1.1
the router install more and more time hangup type please wait for 10 minutes.
i make manual restart the router web http://192.168.1.1 not open again
try install 18.06.1 by serial cable usb ttl the router is not install the firmware get ( ......... ) big time 7 minutes and not finish install
after used sf write 0x81000000 0x20000 0x$(filesize) take big time and not install
Conclusion With my experience with this system ( openwrt )

• not stable very bad
  • not easy to install
  • always make big problem some time when try install new Firmware
    ( Now I need a programmer Flash IC Their price 1600 Egypt Pound to reprogrammer the router the new router TP-Link VR 600 is 1850 EGP the Linksys x6200 1950 EGP )
    i go to get new router and not try install this firmware again.

I believe if you visited the wiki you wouldn't have this problem anyway. The development version comes without a web interface so it was just normal that you were not able to access LuCI but SSH would be available which you never tried to access.

The downgrade to 17.01 or upgrade to 18.06 has a little name change for some or most routers. That is why you cant flash from LuCI and you need SSH to do it with -f option.

At the end whatever commands you used I'm not familiar with them but maybe you have just bricked your router and can easily flash it back through serial access and tftp. Again use wiki for this.

if run by usb serial show

ROM VER: 1.1.4
CFG 05
CFG 05
CFG 05
CFG 05
CFG 05

and when press T no make any change stay show
CFG 05
how to flash it ?????

That means the flash chip is out of your hands now. Get a programmer to fix it. A used router would be cheaper than going through all the trouble.

the router is totally damage
i buy others Linksys x6200
and not try any firmware again openwrt ddrt etc
only the official firmware is stable other
A waste of time and getting into many problems and a headache

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.