TP-Link TL-WR902ACv3 doesn't flash over TFTP

Hi there. I've searched over the forum to see if anyone have had the same problem I'm having, but I haven't found anything, so apologies if this is a repeated question.

As stated, I have a TP-Link TL-WR902AC v3, with firmware version 0.9.1 0.3 v0089.0 Build 191018 Rel.34369n(4555), and I'm trying to install OpenWRT.
I've followed the tutorial: download binary and change name to tp_recovery.bin (and putting it in a folder), installing tftp64, change ethernet interface IP to static, turn off the router (disconnecting the power in this case), run tftpd, select the folder where the binary is, select the ethernet interface with, and finally reset and power on the router and see the connection and the transmission of the file.

The 'problem' is, the router is not receiving and flashing the OpenWrt binary, and the tftp program doesn't show any connection or transmission whatsoever (nothing in the tftp server tab or the pop-up window with the progress bar, neither in the log viewer, even just to see the name of the file the router is looking for, just in case the file is supposed to be named differently). I'm seeing that the program defaults to the loopback interface when I click on a different tab and return back, although I'm guessing this isn't the problem.
Also, I've tried to force the IP checking the option 'Bind TFTP to this address' in settings, but after clicking OK (and telling me that the program needs to restart to apply the change), if I go back to confirm that the change applied , it seems to don't apply (the box is unchecked).
I've tried the SolarWinds TFTP server too, but it doesn't detect anything either.

The question, then, is if anyone have had this problem and how has it been solved, or if I'm doing something wrong. At least the router hasn't bricked yet (it resets the stock firmware to the same version that I stated before since I haven't upgraded it since I got it).

I will keep trying anyway while I'm waiting for a message. Thanks in advance!

Sometimes it helps if you use a dumb switch in between router and client to keep the connection

Well, I don't have any right now with me, just the ISP router with connection to the internet :confused:
I will keep that in mind for when I have access to one though. Meanwhile I will keep trying with only the laptop and the TP-Link router.

Thanks anyway!

Also try using instead of 0. Some TP-Link devices seem to use that instead.

It didn't work either, but thanks for the suggestion anyway!


best way to sort out this problem is

  1. disable ALL firewal on windows
  2. install wireshark
  3. start wireshark on interface facing to router
  4. plug cable into router and power ON && hold reset

you will see traffic on port connected to router, and there will be which address is targeted and what is required file name

1 Like

I didn't think about that, thanks for the suggestion!

I've captured the traffic as you suggested, and indeed the IP the router is looking for is (as you can see attached here), so the tutorial is correct in that regard.

After that I established the static IP for the ethernet port to see the TFTP packets with the file request to see the name, and it shows it was correct.

So finally I started the TFTP program to see what packet transactions were both the PC and the router trying to do, and I don't know why but it worked this time. Only one thing I've done differently from other times: I've set the static IP from the Network Connections section (by clicking in Change adapter settings) instead from the Network and Sharing Centre:

Now that seems that the firmware is installed, the problem I'm having is that I can't access the router through neither (Power and Internet lights are on and static, but nothing else, so the router is not bricked), so this is the next thing I need to solve, but I think for that I should create another different post.

Anyway, thank you for the Wireshark idea!

Are you trying to access luci, or ssh? Snapshot builds don’t include luci so you have to ssh in to install it.


i am glad you flashed it this time :slight_smile:

first, your PC adapter need to be in 192.168.1.x/24 range
or, best is to set to DHCP
then you will see that OpenWRT will assign 192.168.1.x address to PC
it is first sign that router is working as expected

when you got address, then you need to try http, and if this does not work, then with ssh root@

one of this two will work, so you could proceed from there

1 Like

Oh my god yes, that was the problem, I forgot to revert the IP to automatic in the PC. I've changed the static IP of the TP-Link to to not create conflict with the ISP router.

Thank you very much for the help! Now it's time for me to start investigating all the options OpenWRT has

1 Like

Seems that there is no need for that since it has LuCI by default, I could access the GUI at first try. The problem was other thing.

But thanks anyway!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.