TP-Link TL-WR902AC & 5GHz

Hi folks!
I'm new to OpenWRT (though I've used alternate firmwares in the past) and have not yet read through all the documentation or gotten started with an installation. I saw on the compatibility grid that my newly purchased TP-Link TL-WR902AC very is supported but that the 5ghz band isn't supported or is non-functional as of the most recent image version 18.06.01. Is that still the case or will it be fixed in an upcoming release?

Thank you,
Raymond

It depends on the hardware revsion, v1 should just work - in case of v3, there is no driver for the 5 GHz wlan (nor much hope for this to change anytime soon).

Yeah, it's version 3. Proprietary/closed source binaries are the culprit I assume?

Has something changed in this topic? Any chance to support 5ghz?

I can’t find the commit, but I thought I spotted the chip was supported in mt76 (although still early support)

1 Like

Is there any update about 5GHz support for TL-WR902AC v3? I'm new to OpenWrt and I'm planing to buy travel router and need to know if 5GHz is supported.

+1 on this question. Planning on one of these too. Anyone actually have one running 18.06.4 who could tell us?

I asked the make-wifi-fast list, and there was some confusion on is there driver support yet.

yes, it's supported

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm, 5GHz network is working. You need to install "kmod-mt76x0e" (in LuCI: System -> Software)

Hi!

Could You please give some more instructions how to do it? After installing "kmod-mt76x0e" should the 5Ghz wifi show up?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.