TP-Link RE450 V2 ( F/W: 1.0.2 Build 20170626 Rel. 60833)

Can someone confirm that latest 19.06 RC2 firmware contains LUCI for this device?
Also, is there a stripped version of stock available for "uninstall" if this go wrong? Thanks in advance!

just pulled the latest 19.07 RC2 firmware and checked its content. Luci files are there, so it should have LUCI service and app running after you flash it.

1 Like

Great, thank you. What about stripped stock firmware to safe rollback? Is there one available?

I tried to flash the new 19.07 RC2 tplink_re450-v2-squashfs-factory.bin image via the stock webinterface to my RE450 v2 but it failed with checksum error. What I'm doing wrong?

I'm also interested in how to reflash the original firmware in the case I will go back to stock.
I've found a thread with modified stock fw for the v1 but no instructions or modified stock firmware for the v2.

thanks

Had the same problem with bad checksum. Rename the file to "factory.bin" and it should work.

You can reflash back to original from OpenWRT (if it installs correctly).

In the meantime I tried it with the actual snapshot and it worked. When you try to flash the original stock FW with openwrt the device get bricked. So this is not recommended! Thats the reason why I asked how to get safely back to stock.

Thank you for you instructions. Everything went very well thanks to your instructions, even with me as a noob.

But I'm having some issues with the 19.07 RC2 firmware. My RE450 is configured as a dumb AP. Everything start fine after boot, but there seems to be some memory leak. In about 7 hours after boot, the device is completely out of memory, and OOM starts killing processes, crashing many features on the AP, including access to LUCI and SSH.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix that issue? All I was able to find is that I need to install a swap partition, which requires a usb drive connected to the RE450, but RE450 doesn't have a USB port.

Do you if there's like an unused pin on the chipset the I can solder a USB connector to?

If not, then what can I do to fix this memory leak issue?

Thank you!

1 Like

just wait till someone writes that you need 512mb RAM device..

1 Like

I'm using the current snapshot build on my RE450 and have absolutely no memory issues. My device also only have 64MB of ram and is working absolutely fine. In all situations I have about ~20-27MB free ram. Please try the current snapshot build.

2 Likes

same here with a pair of 64MB LBE5AC-Gen2. about 25-29MB free RAM. don't listen to stupid advices like soldering USB for swap. you only risk board damage with it

That actually worked! Thank you. At least, it's been 12+ hrs, and free RAM is around constant.

But I have an additional problem the Snapshot didn't solve.

I have an HP wireless printer connected to the RE450 running Openwrt acting as a dumb AP.
RE450 is broadcasting the SSID as the main router, basically acting as a repeat with Ethernet connection as a backhaul.

My laptop and iPhone are able to communicate with printer just fine. My Android devices, however, can ping the printer, but cannot communicate with it. This issue was not present before installing the RE450.

Any help with that? Is it a port-blocking issue? Do I need to enable something in Operwrt?

Also, I'd like to confirm that flashing back stock firmware through LUCI does indeed brick the device.

uff thats bad, so you bricked your RE450 :frowning: ? regarding your printer problem: have you disabled all services you not need? I think it's the running firewall maybe? When dhcp and all other stuff comes from your main router then you can

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq disable
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop
/etc/init.d/odhcpd disable
/etc/init.d/odhcpd stop
/etc/init.d/firewall disable
/etc/init.d/firewall stop

No worries. I can manage debricking with JTAG. You said it would brick it, and I went in knowing that it probably would. Now we know for sure.

Yes, I made sure all these services were disabled and stopped. Confirmed that through LUCI and ps, too. Even after several reboots.

Tried enabling/disabling IMG snooping, and STP tree, too.

1 Like

Hi, im a relative noob and own this device what do i have to do to get open wrt on this device? I have done this on my asus router but this looks a lot more complicated and riskier! Is it worth me doing it and if so how do i do it?
Thanks

Be aware that RE450 v2 currently has only snapshot support. See also https://openwrt.org/releases/snapshot

1 Like

Thank you for the links and info :slight_smile:

2 posts were split to a new topic: 19.07.0 installation on RE450 v2

This topic was intended for adding support for this specific device.
Since official 19.07.0 images are available now, I will set a timer for this topic to close.

Why?

Because specific problems for this device with official releases are better handled in separate topics, in order to make finding relevant information easier. Who is going to read dozens of postings, if he has a specific problem with 19.07.0 and wifi?

Therefore: Please open new topics for any open issues with this device.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.