TP-Link EAP245-v3 stuck at 40Mhz on 5g

So if I understand you correctly you previously ran OpenWRT on the EAP245v3 with good 5Ghz speeds? You don't by any chance remember which version that was? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes it did work very well with the image I used during the winter!
I never tested it with any high speeds but bw selection worked, wpa3 worked and it wasnā€™t a single glitch i the surfing.
I have to get back on what build it was.

The first anomaly I got after the spring upgrade was directly after power on and configuration was done the the ubuntu laptop refused to connect to the wifi while the iOS devices worked? By chance after trial and error I changed from 40 to 20MHz and then also the laptop started working and after that the problem with the 5GHz wifi is connected everywhere but the actual data streams stops sporadically on all devices.

My plan now is to simply roll back my 245 to the ā€œwinterā€ image as soon I got the time to do it and see if it starts working ā€œas beforeā€ again?

Since I was also pulling my hair out getting the VLANs to work I've reverted back to stock firmware for now. A bit disappointing to see that OpenWRT is not really working well on the device and there is not a lot of incentive to fix it. Probably should come with a warning on the device page to notify users it will cut their 5Ghz speeds drastically.

@svanheule, I had a look at the EAP225v3 but it only has a 100Mbps ETH port, so I guess that one isn't really an option for me either :confused:

Personally I have had a continuous bad luck with issues that always getting tracked to driver issues.

First wifi on wrt3200acmā€¦

And then the memory leak on ER4, that fault was actually fixed by chance but it was in the last second before the device was supposed to be cut out of the OpenWrt family.

And now we are in the 5GHz wifi driver again, only a different driver name this time.

I was actually visiting the 245 device wiki today to look at the instruction to install the original firmware.
But then I remembered I think I have the old image savedā€¦

Where did you get that info? EAP225v3 has a 1Gb/s port. https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/b0ecae504b58bf65627138fe14eb605ad77224c9

The EAP225-Wall has only 100Mb/s ports. VLANs also work without issue on my EAP245v3, so I don't think that should be a problem.

The only problem I have experienced on both 245v3 and 225v4 seems to be very isolated to 5GHz radio behavior.
But the vlan communication seems to be stable as far as I can tell. To be honest I canā€™t remember any real problem with wired communication on any OpenWrt device I have.

You are correct, I missed the "wall" in the comparison page I used to compare the two :sweat_smile:
I should've probably also mentioned that I meant the 'extra' outbound port, not the incoming eth. I currently use that one to hook up to another wired device in the room. With the EAP225 I'd have to get another switch for the wired device is what I was meaning to say.

The VLAN thing is probably all due to my own fumbling. With the official EAP software I had 2 VLANS coming into the EAP: 1 tagged and 1 untagged. The untagged one is automagically used on the outbound ETH port, the tagged one I use on the WIFI networks.

I started off with the same untagged/tagged on OpenWRT (I acutally completely missed this at first). With this setup the untagged VLAN was working, outbound Eth was fine and wifi using that network was fine. Under switches I added the extra VLAN and had both tagged on CPU (this is probably where I went wrong), also created a new interface for it which uses the new switch, and after modifying the wireless to use the new network I could no longer connect (I had ip, gateway and dns set on the new interface to the new VLAN IP range).

Since I was running into the speed issue I decided not to waste too much time trying to get it work as I would have to flash back to stock anyway. First thing the stock firmware asked me was to agree to their terms of service / privacy policy.. Almost went back to OpenWRT again after seeing that :stuck_out_tongue:

If there's anything we can do to help get this resolved please let us know. I'm sure there is lots of people using these cheaper devices and are just waiting to make the switch.

I would argue that one doesn't run OpenWrt for max performance, but rather for all the other features it offers (full VLAN support, WPA3, actual long-term security updates).

The only option I still see to get this resolved, is to report the issue upstream with the ath10k maintainers, if the 5GHz bandwidth problem is also there on the ath10k driver (not just on ath10k-ct!). But the radio in the EAP245v3 is a model that I haven't seen anywhere else, so you may have to be persistent to get them to look at it.

Agreed, I actually have OpenWRT running on a Archer C7 which is slower than the stock firmware, but it's above an acceptable level and the features make it well worth it. In this case though I actually need the speed to be a bit higher though.

Since I wouldn't even know where to start logging an issue with the ath10k maintainers (after some googling I found mailing lists :sweat_smile:) I'm crossing my fingers someone smarter than me comes along and makes this work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I have installed original firmware on one of my 245v3 to se if it works better.
Then we at least know if the bugs are in the AP or somewhere else in the network.

Is this issue is solved on OpenWrt 22.03.3.

1 Like

Any tests?

EDIT: itĀ“s not fixed on 22.03.3! I have a 300/150 FTTH link and I get 170Mbps on TX but I even canĀ“t get 90Mbps on RX with a S7 and a S21+, S7 on 466Mbps and S21+ on 866Mbps.

1 Like

Thanks for updated information. It seems that will not be fixed in the future updates. I think sticking with stock firmware is a good idea.

1 Like

The lack of performance is a concern.
WXR-2533DHP here, using Qualcomm Atheros QCA9990.
The performance on 5Ghz is really really poor. (I didnt test 2.4Ghz yet)
I tested it with different firmwares/packages (CT and non CT), by using Iperf 3, controlled environment, even I adjusted some few parameters on the sysctl, cpu governor (just in case), software offloading (on/off), HW offloading (on/off).... no major improvements.
The fact that OpenWRT is somehow proud of the extensive devices support has a clear cost, less extensive product coverage might help to deliver a better solution.

IMHO this kind of issues compromises the overall project, it doesn't matter if OpenWRT has a tons of features if it can't perform as router. There is no feature on the OpenWRT that you can not achieve with an external RPI board powered by the USB of a router and have it attached to it by velcro, therefore you can stay with the factory firmware (maintaining not only the performance expected but also warranty) while keeping those nice features you might need, then the OpenWRT could become useless at some extend.

By the way, I never faced such a poor performance like this on DDWRT. However it is fair to say, that i was using other hardware and DDWRT is quite different solution on its scope.

Not sure if this is valid for other models/vendor out there but I fixed my WXR-2533DHP which uses Qualcomm Atheros QCA9990.

Modules installed:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list-installed | grep ath
ath10k-board-qca99x0 - 20230804-1
ath10k-firmware-qca99x0-ct - 2020-11-08-1
kmod-ath - 5.10.176+5.15.92-1-1
kmod-ath10k-ct - 5.10.176+2022-05-13-f808496f-1

sysctl and config changes:
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/rc.local

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_slow_start_after_idle=0
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_rmem='8192 131072 3530272'
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_wmem='8192 131072 3530272'
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_autocorking=0
sysctl -w net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal=1
sysctl -w net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_fin_wait=60

rmmod ppp_async
rmmod pppoe
rmmod pppox
rmmod ppp_generic
rmmod slhc

exit 0

Other packages installed and configured:

irqbalance

I observed the second CPU was not properly used by monitoring /proc/interrupts

Initially I was getting @40mbits on 5ghz, post the changes noted above, I am on...

iperf3 -c 192.168.14.108
Connecting to host 192.168.14.108, port 5201
[ 5] local 192.168.14.1 port 35060 connected to 192.168.14.108 port 5201
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr Cwnd
[ 5] 0.00-1.00 sec 30.9 MBytes 259 Mbits/sec 0 438 KBytes
[ 5] 1.00-2.00 sec 26.1 MBytes 219 Mbits/sec 0 467 KBytes
[ 5] 2.00-3.00 sec 25.8 MBytes 216 Mbits/sec 0 464 KBytes
[ 5] 3.00-4.00 sec 25.7 MBytes 216 Mbits/sec 0 436 KBytes
[ 5] 4.00-5.00 sec 27.5 MBytes 231 Mbits/sec 0 438 KBytes
[ 5] 5.00-6.00 sec 22.1 MBytes 186 Mbits/sec 0 441 KBytes
[ 5] 6.00-7.00 sec 27.0 MBytes 226 Mbits/sec 0 436 KBytes

Other details:
5Ghz, shared wpa2/wap3, krack protetcion on, channel auto, transmit power default

Software offloading and/or hardware offloading on/off (both) didnt make much difference.

Under Network > Global Network Options the option "packet steering" is enabled.