TP-Link EAP Series experiences

Yeah, at least here I remember various users having reported similar issues:

I am using 802.11r with openwrt and have no issues with archer c7 and some other devices. I remember when I set it up, I was a little bit confused about the setup and experienced issues until it was properly set. At least all tp-link devices which I use, 802.11r works. I hope eap series is no exclusion as well as I am interested in how cpe series performs with openwrt.

I've got eap225-outdoor, eap235-wall and eap-245 for testing, would be bad if 802.11r does not work.

@moderators if this thread is actually the same, please feel free to close/delete it.

EDIT: Does anybody know if there is difference in eap series for EU firmware for different EU countries, how do I know if it is for Germany, Switzerland, Austria,France,Spain..? I backed up original, I am just curious if there is any difference as support page for different eu countries shows different versions.

Tp-link has only one firmware for EU. TP-link has no country selection in firmware to begin with. For OpenWRT you don’t need to care about countries in EU devices. Set country to driver default then you get EU original wifi speed.

1 Like

For my issue with 802.11r, it came down to a different rom on the specific android device. That is/was more rom development related than anything. I have turned 802.11r back on, on my TP-Link devices. Along with Dawn, it’s working pretty well. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the reply, I did think the same that there is no difference but thinking is not knowing. It seems there is difference, if on german tp-link more than one firmware is available and looking at austrian, there is only one. I did not go further to check other EU countries but would assume, like in germany, that there might be differences in radio and maybe some other beside language settings, however, the reason to know it was simply for ability to flash back original firmware downloaded from tp-link, sure I backed up original firmware, however, I kinda dislike the need to manage and keep those files or links, that's why I asked as on the package one can see only the EU but not for which EU country it is intended. Probably tp-link can reply better why they offer different firmwares for different EU countries.

@stansmith good to hear it works well, you can use it without Dawn which is a little ressource heavy.

That could as well just be such vendor's ignorance resp. stupidity.

I have noticed in the past that TP-Link will list different availabe firmware versions for different locales (regions). However, if you look at the same version for two region, you'll see that they actually identical (e.g. checksums). The US and EU firmwares are even identical, but there is a config partition on the device that indicates in what region it should operate.

That being said, don't upgrade to a Canadian firmware. Those will turn your device into a Canadian. CA firmwares have an extra piece of metadata that is checked on FW upgrades, preventing it from installing the universal FW.