TP-Link Archer MR200 v1 - OpenWrt firmware install

Hi all,

I have TP-Link Archer MR200 v1 router with some costum firmware provided by my Provider. The firmware is very unstable, 4G signal is bad, sometimes it's working sotimes not, sometimes it doesn't want to see the SIM card. Because it is out of warranty I want to install OpenWRT on it using TFTP.

As I understood right, I need to rename this firmware: http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.2/targets/ramips/mt7620/openwrt-19.07.2-ramips-mt7620-ArcherMR200-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin to ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin and flash it with TFTP, am I right? I cannot find the "squashfs-factory.bin" version for my device, can I use "squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" ?

In OpenWRT will the 4G module work fine with SIM card?

Thank you.

The modem is an android device and is not updated with openwrt. Openwrt only change the router firmware. Try updating to the latest firmware first with your provider to get the latest modem firmware. There should be no change in 4G reception between stock and openwrt firmware. Make sure you follow the instructions in https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-mr200 to change to openwrt, as mentioned you need to use TFTP with ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin. You can use "squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" to create the file.

What do you mean by "You can create the file using "squashfs-sysupgrade.bin", create you mean renaming the file to ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin?

You ask:

"I cannot find the "squashfs-factory.bin" version for my device, can I use "squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" ?"

So yes you can use "squashfs-sysupgrade.bin". Please read the how to first. You need to combine the bootloader with this "squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" file to make "ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.bin"

If you are not sure, I can make it for you. But before that which one is your provider, is it Orange?

I would be more than thankfull If you could build the necessary firmware for me. Yes it is Orange.
Screen:

For Orange devices you might first want to read the thread TP-Link MR200 firmware update

We still can try something, your device might be using a different bootloader. So can you tell me where can I get the firmware for your ISP Orange? We need to extract the bootloader first.

Here is the firmware of my ISP

Try this one http://www.mediafire.com/file/uifvbior6liwcxz/ArcherC2V1_tp_recovery.zip/file

What I did:

1. Extract bootloader from Orange firmware from your link
  2. Append the bootloader with openwrt 19.07.2 for mr200

Have you read the link that I mentioned?
BTW I am using the same bootloader on my device with the same method and it works

1 Like

I've read, but I'm confused. What you recommend to do? The firmware you packed is safe to flash into my router using tftp method? Thanks

Yes it is supposed to be safe since it is using the same bootloader which is provided by Orange, and which is also already tested on my device. In any case you should be able to revert back to Orange using the same method.

Make backup of your settings if possible

I will do a backup, although the settings are default ones.

Thank you very much. I've managed to put the new firmware, everything works just fine, wihout any issues. God bless you :wink:

Thank you for confirming. Not sure why but some fellows are not able to do it.

Their hans need to grow from where it needs to, if you know what I mean. No issues, it's a simple task.

1 Like

I thought I had no issues, but no, there is one. Wireless works only in AC frequency mode, if I choose "N" or "legacy" mode the SSID doesn't broadcast anymore, can't find the Network on my smartphone or notebook.

Now that you are in openwrt, you can try to change to other version for example 19.07.1 to see if that helps. Or you can ask other members about the wifi problem. It is openwrt related problem.

Ok. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.