TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900

Hi admins,

I have now a TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900. I can't find the Wlan interface. The file /etc/config/wireless is not present. Should I configure it manually? How can I configure the 5GHz?

Best

is the DFS supported on the firmware?

root@LEDE:~# iw reg set DE
nl80211 not found.
root@LEDE:~# iw reg get
nl80211 not found.
root@LEDE:~#

here is my wireless file:

root@LEDE:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'broadcom'
option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0'
option country 'DE'
option distance '15'
option channel 'auto'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'LEDE'
option network 'wlan'
option encryption 'psk2+tkip+ccmp'
option key 'secret'
option doth '1'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
option type 'broadcom'
option channel '11'
option hwmode '11g'
option path 'platform/brcm47xx'
option htmode 'HT20'
option country 'DE'
option distance '15'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
option device 'radio1'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'LEDE'
option network 'wlan'
option encryption 'psk2+tkip+ccmp'
option key 'secret'

when I restart the network:

root@LEDE:~# /etc/init.d/network restart
radio0(broadcom): Interface type not supported
radio1(broadcom): Interface type not supported

You're out of luck, wireless is not supported in LEDE on Archer C9: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=348329#p348329

@DjiPi what a shame! Thanks dude

Are Broadcom chips not supported in general or is it only this device? I am considering to replace it with the Archer C7 AC1750 with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 chip, just to in case!

Broadcom wireless in general should be avoided as recommanded in OpenWrt wiki because of lack of FLOSS drivers: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buyerguide

I do own an Archer C7 v2 (be sure to get the v2) running LEDE and I'm quite satisfied with it. Just don't expect WAN speed above 200 Mbps because unlike stock firmware, there is no hardware NAT support.

Hi Jean-Pierre,
good to know, I need to know a lot of things about LEDE and OpenWrt.
Well fortunately or (unfortunately) I have only 100 MBits, so hardware NAT not being supported don't bather me. Thanks

1 Like

If you don't plan to upgrade your Internet soon, it shoul be fine. If you plan to serve VPN, since the CPU is not exceptionally powerful, it could lower even further the speed of VPN clients.

Worth of mention is a custom build for Archer C7 v2 from user r00t with goal to tweak the performance further, with good success.

sounds good, cause I do serve VPN. I have a dedicated Ganeti VM with OpenVPN! Well I had the TL-WR1043ND and the speed was OK, the C7 v2 must be better, I hope at least.