I have LEDE installed on both an Archer C7 and a Home Hub 5 but the performance is wildly different.
Its my understand they both use the same 802.11ac chipset so why am I able to comfortably get up to 55MiB/s on the Archer C7 but the Home Hub 5 struggles to hit 20MiB/s, when tested in the same location?
The HH5 also is performing identical at 40Mhz and 80Mhz channel width, although it does halve accordingly if I use 20Mhz.
It is showing as using VHT modes but the link rates are much lower than I would normally expect. I have seen it occasionally show 400Mbit but generally a lot lower. The Archer C7 comfortably lingers around 720Mbit with it not unusual to hit the full 866Mbit for 2x2 MIMO.
I was under the impression the HH5a was supposed to have better amplifiers not worse? Could leaving the wires I used to access the UART interface be causing signal disruption? Is it likely I will ever need them again or should I be safe to remove them?
For the specific case of the bt hh5a, smp should be enabled in master snapshots - other devices with FXS port do disable SMP (the second core is dedicated to the vmmc there, doing the voice processing).
I have found since moving off if .01 or .02 I can't remember exactly which, my hh5a is much slower with WiFi, I'm on UK fibre an I get the full 74 mb downloads which is pretty good and on .01 I got this on wifi, now I struggle on .04 to get above 55mb
fwiw, I don't have 80/20 FTTC but here are some test results I have compiled between my two Windows laptops (gigabit port and 2x2 stream wifi card) running Filezilla FTP client and Server apps, connected to a HH5a:
FTP client - LAN - HH5a - LAN - FTP server
17.01.0 - 113.2 MiB/sec (905 mbps)
17.01.2 - 113.2 MiB/sec (905 mbps)
17.01.4 - 113.2 MiB/sec (905 mbps)
FTP client - 5 GHz wifi (20MHz) - HH5a - LAN - FTP server
17.01.4 - 11 MiB/sec (88 mbps)
FTP client - 5 GHz wifi (40MHz) - HH5a - LAN - FTP server
17.01.4 - 16.9 MiB/sec (135.2 mbps)
The FTP download speeds via 5 GHz wifi do appear to max out around 52 mbps during my tests when routed through WAN interface, which would seem to support your own observations. SMP seems to offer a bit of a boost to 60+ mbps.
I agree, it's all over the place at times, but generally it's consistent if I use the same server on the devices.
It's just strange that I used to get full bandwidth on the phone during a test and everywhere else but not any more, but the ATV does!! Strange
The relationship between WiFi and the Internet is just a weird thing, I think various latencies and packet transmission methods just creates all sorts of bottlenecks that aren't always obvious.
For example on my phone I might get 400Mbit over iperf3 to the LAN but struggle to hit 50Mbit over the Internet via WiFi, yet get higher than that over 4G. Its all rather unpredictable on a day to day basis.
This is why people defaulting to WiFi even where wired is a viable option is a really bad thing. WiFi is such a complicated beast its best to only use it when you really REALLY have to.