TP-Link Archer C7 v5 slow WAN speed

I have a TP-Link Archer C7 v5 router, with the latest OpenWrt installed.

Recently I had a new 1Gbps fibre line installed. The supplied router, an Eero 6 reported speeds of over ~940Mbps. But when removing the Eero and connecting the TP-Link I'm unable to get anywhere need these speeds.

The system is completely hardwired, this is not about wireless performance. Here is a quick comparison of speedtests from a connected computer:

TP-Link
425.9Mbps download
213.2Mbps upload

Eero
747.6Mbps download
863.0Mbps upload

Any advice on what I could look into to check the difference in router performance.

are the two devices using exactly the same hw, internally ?

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response.

Ah, I wasn't sure if the hardware was up to the task or not, because the advertised specification; gigabit ports etc mean to the likes of me that gigabit is available. If this is a hardware issue then fair enough, in which case, yes I'd appreciate some advice for a new router, there is one requirement that it supports mesh networking.

gigabit ports != capable of routing at gigabit speeds.

where are you located, geographically.

Of course not.
While the C7 V5 has got a single core Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563 running at 750MHz with 16MB Flash and 128MB RAM, the Eero 6 has got a unspecified quad-core SoC running at 1,2GHz with 4GB Flash and 512MB RAM.

@n1md4
So the Eero 6 is much more powerful than the C7, and i guess they're using some parts in the SoC with their firmware to speed up the troughput which isn't available in OpenWrt.

1 Like

I am located in the United Kingdom.

I've read that thought fully now, and basically you can't get an all-in-one solution for gigabit fibre speeds.

I'll be investigating a component based solution, currently I'd need an AP and router.

it was a rhetorical question ...

WRX36 (complicated to flash, but still very doable)
RT3200 / E8450 (mostly unavailable)
ASUS AX4200 (requires serial to flash)
WAX206 (very easy to flash)

if you can repurpose the Eero, and set it up as AP, you could get a cheap x86 box off ebay, for less than 50£.

That's not a bad idea! I have been looking at a dedicated router too, for example (and not limited to) the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite. I'll check out your links too.

you can obviously do the same with the TP-Link, but the wifi will be slower.

I know...i just couldn't resist... :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Both models cost about the same (~120€) at Amazon.de. So one might assume they're in the same league...which they aren't.

1 Like

I already have a separate modem, the Adtrans SDX621i, and I use a Pi-Hole for DNS and DHCP. Just thinking aloud before doing my own research ... does the modem do the routing? do I need a separate router ...

I'm really liking the look of this though, pretty affordable too. Something I'm not getting though, it's marketed as an AP but also has ethernet ports, is it a switch too or is it routing ...

it's been as low as ~45€, 120 is just old stock.

https://de.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00BUSDVBQ

depends on the modem, and how it's configured / configurable.

it got an uplink port, and there's a router mode in the stock fw, but it's sold as an AP.

See here for entitlements of the C7 :
[OpenWrt Wiki] TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 / TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 / TP-Link TL-WDR7500

Depending on what features you need a number of MT7621 devices have been enabled for 2Gbps hw accelerated routing.

You could, for example, buy a ZyXEL WSM20 (aka Multy M1) from Ebuyer for £33, or a 3 pack for £90. This would absolutely not be able to do gigabit SQM or VPN, but should do basic gigabit routing with the enhanced device tree on master.

It’s really about working out what best fits your needs and budget.

That's slow, even for a C7. Did you enable software flow acceleration under firewall?

You called it! Enabled both software and hardware offloading and now get far faster speeds:

801.46Mbps download
859.56Mbps upload

Wireless is more than it was with offloading, but still less than I'd expect, given the hardware specification I thought it would be closer to 866Mbps. But the speeds I'm getting suggest the connection is running 802.11n instead of ac:

307.20Mbps
273.71Mpbs

TP-Link Archer C7
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 802.11acn
Channel: 36 (5.180 GHz) | Bitrate: 866.7 Mbit/s

Laptop
Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)

C7 doesnt have hardware acceleration support, so don't think it matters that you turn on hardware acceleration or not. If anything it could be slower.

Wifi is limited by the cpu in the C7 and the speeds you're getting seem to be accurate and as expected.

1 Like

I thought about what you said of WiFi being CPU intensive, so I did some tests.

Putting the Eero into bridged mode and having WiFi enabled, but excluding the TP-Link I got WiFi speeds of around 500Mbs. When I put the TP-Link back in the equation and had the Eero on a stick (in bridge mode) for WiFi, speed reverted back to the 300Mbps range.

Two questions then:

i) Any idea why including the TP-Link reduced the speed of WiFi, even though the service was offloaded to the Eero.
ii) How is it possible to get close to the 1.3Gbps speed as supported by 802.11ac (assuming ideal conditions).

Thanks in advance.