TP-LINK Archer C7 v5 factory.bin won't load

It's my fault. I have to use 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1. ... I look like a beginner

What confused me was that the router didn't have more light than the power LED, and that drive me to think that something had not gone well.

Thanks everybody for your help. Thank you all. You saved me from a big problem in my work

Greetings!

Hi leillo,
I've had not working LED problem on my C7 v5, same I thought flashing using tftp went badly.
I did workaround and achived working LEDs on SNAPSHOT r8422-c5bf408 git-18.309.37192-a6d96e0 build (the 18.06.1 did not work, probably due to https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/1411) and /etc/config/system config below:

config led
    option default '0'
    option name 'wlan2g'
    option sysfs 'archer-c7-v5:green:wlan2g'
    option trigger 'phy1tpt'

config led
    option default '0'
    option name 'wlan5g'
    option sysfs 'archer-c7-v5:green:wlan5g'
    option trigger 'phy0tpt'

config led
    option default '0'
    option name 'wan'
    option sysfs 'archer-c7-v5:green:wan'
    option trigger 'switch0'
    option port_mask '0x2'

config led
    option default '0'
    option name 'lan1'
    option sysfs 'archer-c7-v5:green:lan1'
    option trigger 'switch0'
    option port_mask '0x6'

config led
    option default '0'
    option name 'lan2'
    option sysfs 'archer-c7-v5:green:lan2'
    option trigger 'switch0'
    option port_mask '0x8'

config led
    option default '0'
    option name 'lan3'
    option sysfs 'archer-c7-v5:green:lan3'
    option trigger 'switch0'
    option port_mask '0x10'

config led
    option default '0'
    option name 'lan4'
    option sysfs 'archer-c7-v5:green:lan4'
    option trigger 'switch0'
    option port_mask '0x20'

Don't ask me how, just tied to experiment.

Also won't load when trying with a v4

Hi!

I just got a v5 and cannot get it to fetch anything via tftp, maybe I'm not holding the button the exact number of seconds, can somebody be more precise on the timings or how they relate to leds being on or off?

Is there any other way to get it to do a tftp download?

Box is blue, version says Archer C7(EU) Ver: 5.0
Model number barcode says: 6 935364 070618
PN: 1750502306

I was able to flash openwrt on it using the web interface with one of the fixed snapshot versions (https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin) as 18.06.1 would give error.

I could not get a tftp download at all on this device, when I tried again with openwrt installed I got to failsafe mode on openwrt, but no tftp at all :frowning:

The serial number of this device starts with 2189, I believe that the newer units have tftp disabled.

If anybody else can confirm this it would be good.

Hum... Strange
You could refer to this : https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_archer_c7_v5 and this https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c7-1750#tab__firmware_installation

Small hint : Connect to one of the LAN port (N°1 ideally) make sure your tftp server is running and follow procedure (I had to connect my PC and the Archer to a network to have my PC keeping his IP at 192.168.0.66 :

Flash instruction using TFTP recovery:

1. Set PC to fixed ip address 192.168.0.66
  2. Download lede-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin and rename it to ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin
  3. Start a tftp server with the file ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin
  4. Turn off the router
  5. Press and hold Reset button
  6. Turn on router with the reset button pressed and wait ~5-10 seconds
  7. Release the reset button and after a short time the firmware should be transferred from the tftp server
  8. Wait ~30 second to complete recovery.

Hi again!

Sorry for the noise. After reading the doc again and testing in all the ports I finally realised that the v5 has two buttons, one for reset (that is hidden in the sense that you must use something to press it) and the wps button that used to be the wps/reset before.

So... both units I have here work ok when you press the hidden reset button and seem to work ok with 18.06.1 :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

1 Like

Hello,

i'm following your instruction but firmware won't to install on my v5. I have windows 10 and i did following steps:

1 Configured pc ehternet with 192.168.0.66/24
2 Download lede-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin and rename it to ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin
3 Start a tftp server with the file ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin
4 plug cable to pc ethernet with router off
5 reset button pressed
6 turn on router with reset button pressed and i waited 10 second
7 release reset button

tftp server didn't send nothing

What i did wrong?

Appreciate your help

Did you try with your PC and router connected to an active network ?
Look over Mantinan issue and make sure your are using reset button :wink:

Does your led of your rj45 are blinking when the router try to reach the TFTP server ?

Note that mask for your network need to be 255.255.255.0 / Maybe your firewall is active ...

Thank you for fast response.

I forgot that on my company pc firewall is enabled via policy. I did a rule and i was able to flash 18.06.1

Regards :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am having a similar issue but am not able to resolve via the mentioned tftp.

My device: Model: Archer A7(US) Ver 5.0
Serial number begins: 2185629xxxxxx
Firmware version 1.0.7 Build 20181210 rel.54182(5553)

I have my tftp available (via switch) at 192.168.0.66
I have verified from a third device that I am able to access the tftp server and obtain the file.

I'm using an Ubuntu 18.04 install with atftpd running with full verbosity. When I use the third device to access the file, the logging shows the connection, the file request, a message indicating netascii conversion (md5sum is correct at end of transfer) and a end of transfer message.

When I attempt to flash the tp device, I see the connection followed by the file request:
Serving ArcherC7v5_tp_recovery.bin to 192.168.0.86:3296
but then it timeouts followed by
client (192.168.0.86) not responding
The file is requested 3 times before the device finally boots the current firmware.

I've also tried connecting directly to the device (removed the switch) and get the same results. I've ensured I'm connected to LAN port 0 (nearest reset and power). I've tried with the WAN connected to upstream and depopulated. So far, always the same results.

Any ideas?

-Eric

The source of the file I am attempting to use:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.2/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-18.06.2-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin

It looks like I missed the fact that this is an A7 rather than a C7. I don't know if that is the issue or not but it is a difference.

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-a7-v5-squashfs-factory.bin

tried it. Got the same tftp timeouts in the server log but now the device's wifi has ceased to function and although it looks like the TPlink firmware, will not accept my password to login to it.

Snapshot builds don't include luci (the webinterface), you need to access your device via ssh (e.g. PuTTY on windows) and can then install luci from there. According to your description, I'd assume that your flashing actually succeeded (wlan off be default, luci not preinstalled on snapshot builds).

2 Likes

I'm still presented with the tp-link login at the 192.168.0.1 address - but it won't take my password. Also, DHCP for ipv4 is no longer functioning but ipv6 up. I'll reboot and see if ssh is responding (but since I don't have an IPv4 address, not sure I can get to it)

That might be just an artifact of your browser cache (browsers don't handle permanent redirections that well), displaying stale content.

Default address for OpenWrt via ssh is 192.168.1.1, user root, no password set ([enter]).

As you say. I'm in. Thanks!

Hostname OpenWrt
Model TP-Link Archer A7 v5
Architecture Qualcomm Atheros QCA956X ver 1 rev 0
Firmware Version OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r9276-bdedb79 / LuCI Master (git-19.035.52233-21b29f3)

Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.