TP-Link Archer C7 v4 - Trying to get OpenVPN on the router as well as my iPhone

Revisiting this ... :slight_smile:
Q: Do I need a 3rd party or can I access my NAS with WireGuard?
:shrug:

It's not clear to me if you need a 3rd party... where exactly have you landed in the last month+?

Typically the use case for a 3rd party server (either a VPN provider or a VPS) is one of these two situations:

• You want to be able to connect to your home network from a remote location, but your home ISP doesn't provide a public IP -- this becomes the 'broker' in the connection.
  • You want to use another IP address as your 'apparent' IP for the purposes of preventing your ISP from monitoring your usage and/or geo-location reasons.

I don't 'think' I need a 3rd party but sometimes I don't think I know anything!
Allow me to explain what I would like to do:
I would like to access my NAS remotely on my iPhone and potentially my work laptop

I used to use the FileBrowser app on my iPhone to access my NAS remotely - I have NO-IP set up and all worked fine

I heard that FileBrowser is not secure and VPN sounds like a great idea

I have Virgin Media as my ISP and the router is set to MoDem mode

I have a TP-Link router flashed with OpenWrt 22.03.3

I have installed WireGuard on the TPLink as well as my iPhone

When I run the VPN on my iPhone, no connection is made

I am sure that it is something simple but I cannot fathom it out
I was thinking that maybe the simple error was that I needed a VPN like NordVPN but would prefer to have a zero cost associated with this task

I do hope that makes sense!!
TiA

@psherman - Sorry - not sure if i need to tag you ...

I am going to close this and start another thread ... as this seems to have died

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.