TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 radio 1 broken after upgrade to 19.07

I upgraded from 18.06.5 to 19.07.0 on my TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 . After it rebooted radio 0 (5 GHZ) worked but radio 1 (2.4 GHZ) would not start . I 'restarted' it / rebooted / cycled power but no joy .
Finally I went back to 18.06.5 (the best way to do this is another question) and both radios are working .

Any thoughts ?

How did you do the upgrade? from LuCI or the command prompt? And did you use the Ar71xx or Ath79 image?

via luci using openwrt-19.07.0-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Did you choose to save the settings by chance? If you did then I suggest that you flash again without using the settings, or from the terminal using the following command.

Sysupgrade -n

will do when I get another 'down time window'

This is expected when changing from ar71xx to ath79. The wifi configuration needs to be re-generated. If you don't mind losing other settings (which is a good idea, since some others could be broken too), either reset to defaults on the GUI firmware page or run firstboot on the CLI. It isn't necessary to do a complete re-flash.

Look if a "radio2" has been added, that's actually your 2.4 radio which has replaced the misconfigured radio1.

2 Likes

How can I tell if I'm using ath79 or ar71xx on 19.07?

By doing this:

# grep TARGET /etc/openwrt_release 
DISTRIB_TARGET='ramips/mt7621'

I went to the other extreme and now have it up and running .

1. reset to defaults under 18.06
  2. installed the new firmware saying 'no' to keep config
  3. put humpty-dumpty back together again after the router booted up

Thanks for the assistance :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.