TP-Link Archer C7 v2

I have a TP-Link Archer C7 V2 wifi router. There are few posts about this device at this forum. None on-point with my questions. It has the stock firmware. I've checked.

Firmware Version:
3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n
Hardware Version:
Archer C7 v2 15607xxx

Does this file

lede-17.01.4-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin

have the correct file header name to get installed via the LEDE QIG for this device? I ask this because, at some point earlier in time, the USA verson of this device could not have opensource firmware installed due to differences between the manafacturer's firmware header file information and that of the opensource's firmware header file information. Is this true for the lede-17.01.4-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin for the TP-Link Archer C7 V2?

From the openwrt.org wiki for the device, at

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c5-c7-wdr7500

"In late 2015 the V2 changed to flash chip gd25q128, affected serial numbers start with 215C or higher. The chip is supported in trunk as of r47588 and 15.05.1 as of r49220" How do I determine if that applies to this device? Is there a way to do this short of opening the case and looking for the chip number? The serial number of this device is above & I repeat it here: Serial Number is 15607xxx (no letter C anywhere, so is my device pre or post?

My purpose in all of this work is to make the Archer as a VPN wifi/router. My AT&T DSL-modem-wifi-router cannot be directly configured for VPN. (or so I've read)

After installing the *factory.bin do I next install the *sysupgrade.bin and then Luci, or can I skip the upgrade and install Luci?

Can Quad9 DNS numbers be added to the LEDE firmware for the C7? I've seen conflicting reports.

I currently run LEDE 17.01.4 on an Archer C7 v2.

The sysupgrade.bin is used when going to a new version of LEDE, from LEDE or OpenWRT.

LuCI is included in the squashfs-factory.bin firmware.

You may need to shorten the name of the squashfs-factory.bin file to flash it through the TP-Link web GUI.

Another approach I use is the FriedZombie stripped version of the TP-Link firmware. Flash that first, which will take you back to an earlier version of the firmware that will allow you to flash using the web GUI without the region check. It also works for reverting back to stock from LEDE.

http://www.friedzombie.com/tplink-stripped-firmware/

I use Quad9 in the custom DNS server settings in LuCI.

Using:

and the file with "US" in the link, updated to LEDE. Many thnx.

@jwoods

Below this === edited for inaccuracy. Apologies.

The interface is accessable, but the user name is root. That's not what I set on first run.

Something out of the ordinary? After setting a pw, I plugged the lan into the C7 wan and lo!-and-behold, the wifi radios are up and running without config from admin (per LEDE docs they default to "off"). I powered off and pulled the C7 out out of the net. Came back to C7 later and on, set C7 lan to wan on computer and power up. Password I set yesterday is not recognized credential. LEDE home page, asking for credentials has filled in "root" for user, but using either no password or yesterday pw does not allow access.

Is there a simple method to reset the system so go back to "root" and no-password, like firstrun? Please know that no extra software has been installed as yet. The Archer C7 v2 was loaded with LEDE firmware yesterday.

root is the User ID.

The password can be set/changed in the System > Administration tab.

Make sure you click Save & Apply.

You can Reset to defaults in System > Backup/Flash Firmware.

@jwoods

DNS forwardings

I am too new at this. I cannot make mistakes until I'm more comfortable. Please excuse noob stoop.

Just

9.9.9.9. on a line by itself?

or is it /pool/ntp.org/9.9.9.9 ?

Network > Interfaces > WAN > Edit > Advanced Settings

Custom DNS Servers

The Quad9 IP is the primary DNS server, the Hurricane Electric IP is the secondary.

@jwoods

quad9 done. Tablet Tx/Rx pages.

As wifi came turned on, despite docs saying set country code, and as my tablet is up on the 'net. Why am I seeing this? More importantly, does it matter? Like ethernet is not working, only wifi?ping bad address

Not sure what you did...that is just the diagnostics page to test IPv4 and IPv6 connections.

You might benefit from reading the LEDE Quick Start Guide, and then the LEDE User Guide...

https://lede-project.org/docs/start

Everything you need is there to get started.

For the record, I installed the current 17.04.1 that includes the US designator, link above in this post. That is due to CS-Link complying with FCC/US Law to show country or region.

Other than installing the stock 17.04.1 nothing was changed, except for DNS to 9.9.9.9. Nothing else. As I said, immediately above, the wifi and ethernet are working. I've double checked. So AFAIK, despite the bad address ping, everything is A-OK.

Thank you for you time and attention, Mr. Woods @jwoods.

Those of us that use TP-Link routers are very familiar with that.

Glad to hear everything's working.

MarkP2015,

To add some clarity to your issue... the version of Lede you installed, from here... https://github.com/infinitnet/lede-ar71xx-optimized-archer-c7-v2 is not the stock Lede version! Stock Lede install or upgrade files for the Archer C7 v2 are here... https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload

The version you installed is a specific project build specifically for the Archer C7 v2 named...TP-Link Archer C7 V2 AC1750 Optimized LEDE Firmware by “infinitnet” https://github.com/infinitnet and it does have Wi-Fi activated by default! I’ve been using it for a few months now and it works quite well!

Hope that clarifies some of your concerns!

Uncle Jed

It would be highly appreciated for anyone who can advise me any comments for running the LEDE firmware on TP Link Archer C7. I have a TP Link Archer C7, Ver.2.0
I need a stable wifi operation on AC802.11 (5ghz) and this is very important to me.
I searched the internet and I found out that the latest LEDE firmware should be “lede-17.01.4-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin”. The other choice “lede-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin” seems also running well on Archer C7.
I don’t know which one is the best for my purpose.
Thanks again for anyone who help me out.

Your question is a worthy one and deceptively simple, too. Not that you are trying to deceive. Wifi, running channels in the gigahertz range, whether 2.4 or 5 gig, is a frequency that while powerful is inherently subject to temperate, humidity and other frequencies. So, stable from a software viewpoint isn't totally an answer.

I know you are asking about software, but give the greater number of variables, all you can do is try one .bin or the other at various times of day, etc. and see if it matters.

Sorry to not be able to off you concrete info.

Hi MarkP2015
Thank you for your reply! I have read what you wrote above and I know you seem to be using this firmware “lede-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin” on your Archer C7, right? Would you please share some of your using experiences with me, especially the 5ghz section? Cause I have no ideas which one should I install.

The difference between those two are likely that one is from the release branch, the other is a snapshot. To add to things, snapshots and likely the next release will have OpenWRT in the name, not LEDE.

Either works well on an Archer C7 v2.

If you're new to OpenWRT the release version may be easier to start with as it already has the GUI installed and its kernel modules are available for download for more than the day of release (snapshots are typically updated every day).

Jeff
Thanks for your explanations! I am quite new to OpenWRT actually. In order not to misunderstand your suggestion, are you suggesting me to install “lede-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin”?

I don't have a way to use the 5gig band. No devices touch it. The LEDE/OpenWRT software has performed without flaws for me. As I write this, the current uptime is 5days+. Sorry I cannot be more supportive, but your question, while not vague, is too short on specifics. YES, that's the .bin I have installed.