TP-Link Archer C7 and D7

I have heard a lot of good things about Archer C7, it has 5 hardware revisions and each one supported with dedicated firmware.

I gather that the Archer D7 is fundamentally the same hardware but with ADSL add on that is not supported. The D7 uses a snapshot which I confess I do not understand what is or how it is installed compared to a firmware or any impact.

I have a couple of D7's, one is labelled V1 and the other V1.1

So I am wondering whether D7's could be made more friendly to install by Devs here or whether D7 is not worth attempting if I do not have skills.

How hard is it to install OpenWRT when it is this snapshot method, what is procedure?

Or should I just sell the D7 and get a C7, hardware of D7 seems to be around the V4 level of the C7 except it has QCA9880-BR4A instead of QCA9880

Model Version SoC CPU MHz Flash MB RAM MB WLAN Hardware WLAN2.4 WLAN5.0 100M ports Gbit ports Modem USB
Archer D7 / D7b v1 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 775 16 128 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558, Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880-BR4A b/g/n a/n/ac - 4 ADSL2+ 2x 2.0

Seems you need a serial connection for D7 flashing - https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/2079

snapshot means it's beta, with no web interface. it needs to be installed after flashing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 0 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.