Tp-link archer c7 ac1750 v2 and v4 option macaddr doesn't work

I found 2 kinds of problems, one with 18.06.2 and one with the Table of Hardware.

Background:

In tp-link archer c7 ac1750 v5, option macaddr works fine, as in this stanza from /etc/config/network :

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth0.2'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option macaddr 'e5:23:59:1a:44:16'

Problem #1:

I haven't found a way to make option macaddr work for versions 2 and 4 of the same router using 18.06.2. The option appears to be ignored altogether. Interestingly, a fresh install of v4 contains the following stanza for which I was unable to find any documentation:

config device 'wan_dev'
        option name 'eth0.2'
        option macaddr 'b0:be:76:a4:96:8a'

But regardless of whether I use that stanza or don't use it, the MAC address specification is ignored. Anybody know how to make it work? Is it a device driver flaw, or what?

Problem #2:

It occurred to me that I might have better luck by trying the current snapshot. But when I flashed the snapshot referenced in the Table of Hardware](https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload) for Archer C7 1750AC v4, the router could not boot itself from it. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that the 18.06.2 firmware images are named ...ar71xx... but the snapshot images are named ...ath79... So I'm wondering if this is a clerical error in the Table of Hardware?

Anyway, all suggestions welcome.

Steve Newcomb

config device 'wan_dev'
        option name 'eth0.2'
        option macaddr 'b0:be:76:a4:96:8a'

What protocol are you using for this interface? Changing MAC address works on my Archer C7 V2 for DHCP, but will mean nothing for a PPPoE interface for example.

I believe that the new snapshot is using a newer driver. Please be aware that the snapshots don't include LuCI (the GUI) and you would have to install it manually. So if you just can't access the router via the Web browser, try SSH. Otherwise, If the router actually doesn't boot, then that's probably unsuccessful flashing.

Also, as per the Community Guidelines, please refrain from signing your posts.

1 Like

Also when you have two unrelated questions, please make separate topics for them.

2 Likes

Thanks for your helpful replies.
I retried everything from scratch. I was wrong about v4. Changing the macaddr in the wan_dev stanza does, after all, work. I was right about v2: doesn't work.
It is not clear to me what to do to fix the 2-problems-in-1-post issue I created here (and I do appreciate your point about that!), so I'm following up simply by noting that Sunday's snapshot was not bootable.

On my Archer C7 v2 running 18.06.01 changing MAC address works.

If you are interested in trying, you could check the most recent snapshot and see if the problem was solved. Otherwise, you could mention it in the For Developers category and/or report it as a bug.

Interesting that 18.06.1 was working.
Alas I'm out of time and temporarily out of v2 routers, too. However, I have just posted a "getNewIpAddress" script that demonstrates why/how I've been changing MAC addresses, at least in v4 and v5 routers running 18.06.2.

@jeff has some of these router and can probably confirm if the MAC address change is an issue, if he is on 18.06.02.

I can't comment meaningfully as I only run master builds and haven't had any need to change MAC addresses.