TP-Link Archer AX6000 V1 releases GPL Code

I am uncertain what chipset, the TP-Link Archer AX6000 V1 router uses. But it's so rare that any manufacture releases code concerning a Wi-Fi 6 router. If I had to guess, I would assume Intel, since it seems they flooded the market with WiFi 6.

Anyway, TP-Links seems more focused than not on v2 and their other routers, so they have released the GPL Code. I'm sure someone who knows a thing or two can use this somehow.

Here is the page it is located - https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax6000/v1/#GPL-Code

And this is the direct download for v1 of their GPL Code https://static.tp-link.com/resources/gpl/Archer_AX6000v1_GPL_code.tar.gz

If this was the wrong place to share this, I didn't know where or who to alert (sorry).

Usually, FCCID database is the best way to find out: https://fccid.io/TE7AX6000/Internal-Photos/1808RSU004-UE-Internal-Photo-Rev2-4076979 (looks like Broadcom based platform).

2 Likes

I open with the release of the GPL CODE and this information, we can see a firmware release in the future. Thanks for sharing the link too. :+1:

Broadcom is a dead end, esp if you want wireless. If not, there are way better (and cheaper) devices out there.

What an odd thing to say. DD-WRT, for example, makes firmware for Broadcom. The last I checked, OpenWrt has some Broadcom devices too.

You, personally, may dislike their chips for whatever reason, but that does not mean everyone is limited by your narrow view.

DD-WRT have/had a NDA with Broadcom, allowing them to use closed fw drivers/blobs, etc.

Those BCM-openwrt devices have crippled wifi.

Me disliking Broadcom is based on their acting, and the fact they don't give a rats ass about the open source community.

Do some research before you start calling people names, it might actually widen your view.

And use the search...

3 Likes

No one has called you any name or attacked you.

I am sorry you dislike Broadcom, that is your personal opinion and preference and you are welcome to it. But please do not attempt to pass your option as factual to suggest no firmware can be made ever by anyone, as you have stated it has and it can.

Personally, I dislike Netgear routers, for example. That is my preference. I much prefer TP-Link as my brand of choice. Everyone has their own taste, just as you do. There is nothing wrong with having different tastes. But just because I dislike Netgear, does not give me the right to hate on anyone who likes or uses Netgear, for example, any more than you should with someone who by chance happens to be using a Broadcom chip device.

Didn't say it wasn't doable, I said it was a dead end, and even more so if you wanted usable wifi.

But hey, if you got the tools to reverse engineer all that BCM hw and sw, the open source community would've greatful, me included.

And that is your opinion, which you are welcome to have, just as I am welcome to disagree. There may be some limited capacity with Broadcom concerning features (although that has not been my experience) but not everyone wants or needs every bell or whistle (metaphorically speaking).

I would be happy with basic limited functionality. A Wifi and guest network with WPA3 support and the option to change my DNS over a basic network. But my needs are simple. I can understand and sympathize if your needs are a little more demanding.

In any case. I am curious what WiFi 6 router with 2.5 Gbps or higher ports would you suggest since you seem to have a strong opinion. As you are aware, I am not typically a fan of Netgear (or Linksys), so I would be curious about what alternatives you would consider. :innocent:

If you need openwrt support now, none.

If you want more than one 2.5gbit port, some of the high end Xiaomis, perhaps.

If you only want one, for uplink, the WAX206 would be a good candidate, but it's Netgear :slight_smile:

With that said, if don't keep track of the commits happening, only the forum activity. There might be devices in the pipeline, I'm completely unaware of.

Or get some small x86 with 2.5gbe ports, and hook up a Mediatek based wifi stick to it, or any cheap-o router (supported by openwrt, preferably).

2 Likes

Thankfully, I do not need OpenWrt support anytime soon. I do, however, like to review what is available after my stock firmware is no longer updated. I am not there yet and will not be for some time.

Hopefully, the release of their GPL Code will however assist in furthering along with development in the future. And although you, may not be a fan of Broadcom, please do not discourage others from having a go at it. I doubt you would appreciate it if the roles were in reverse.

Thanks for sharing your opinion concerning what routers you, yourself would consider. It was insightful and I appreciate that you took the time to follow up and give your insight. :+1:

You still dont get it, Broadcom is a dead-end, wireless especially.
What use is there from their 4.1 kernel, especially since most of the drivers are prebuilt binaries.

1 Like

It won't. The GPL-code does not include the sources for the drivers, so no, it doesn't help.

1 Like

See https://openwrt.org/meta/infobox/broadcom_wifi for implications of Broadcom WiFi, and reasons why DD-Wrt has support for Broadcom WiFi, and OpenWrt not (or only limited).

Now what does limited support mean? What is working with open-source drivers and what not?

Limited means: 2.4GHz only b/g available, and 5GHz doesn't work at all. There might be some exceptions, but the general rule is as written before. For details see Unsupported features

With that in mind (no or only limited open source support of Broadcom devices), it's up to you whether to buy Broadcom devices or not.

1 Like

Thank you kindly for making it clear that DD-WRT will be my better alternative.

Yeah, too bad there had to be four of us, to convince you....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.