TP-LINK 1043ND v.1.x : Only 110 Mbit on 250mbit WAN to LAN

Is the TP-Link 1043ND v.1.x able to use the full 250mbit downlink from WAN to LAN port? I am asking, because I only get 110mbit but the router has 5x gigabit ports?! Wouldnt that be sufficient to pass through 250mbits?

• Does anyone have similar experience?

• Can anyone confirm / deny this?

• How could I troubleshoot this?

I remember it was discussed again recently, same model and version.It is already too old for such speeds. You need to get a new one.

Found the thread [Solved] TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 LAN Settings

3 Likes

Advertised as 5x 1 gigabit ports, but only does 0,11 gigabits. :smile:

If I buy a new one. How do I know if its fast enough? They all advertise with gigabit ports equipped.

• It has enough processor power to handle 1 Gbps (you'll need roughly ~1 GHz)
  • A device that has working hardware NAT offloading

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-06%2014-35-10

3 Likes

At least ipq806x, mvebu and x86_64 will do 250 MBit/s WAN-to-LAN routing easily. Above 350-400 MBit/s, you're down to mvebu and x86_64.

2 Likes

I just did an iperf3 test with RPi3 <=> Win10 ... and it gave me 618 Mbits on LAN. Why is the WAN port limited to 110 Mbits?

because from wan to lan the router has to do some work. Nating for example and this work needs the cpu. the cpu is quite old.

The gigabit ports are for the lan speed.

1 Like

Traffic between LAN ports remains internal to the hardware switch of your router, the router's CPU never gets to see the traffic and you achieve full 1 GBit/s line speed. Whenever the CPU needs to do something with the traffic, such as routing, NAT, firewall, it needs to leave the switch, through the CPU port of the switch (twice, LAN --> CPU --> WAN, the TL-WR1043NDv1 only has a single CPU port and a 6 port switch, which distinguishes between WAN and LAN via VLAN tagging) and then the slow 400 MHz single-core mips 24Kc CPU is tasked with operating on the packets, this is a bottleneck (several, actually).

Keep in mind, your device has been released about 9 years ago, when 16-25 MBit/s WAN links were considered top end, the device was designed accordingly. Even today entry-level devices won't provide you with much more than ~150 MBit/s routing performance, the faster you go, the faster your router needs become - and ARM based multi-core CPUs in the 1-2.5 GHz range are increasingly replacing the <900 mips targets.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.