Tor acting like DynDNS replacement

I asked here for a solution without the ability to open any port in the NAT: Setup Tor for port-opening-free ssh/config access

In this thread i would like to know what is the best solution to use tor for DynDNS replacement when there is the ability to open a port in the NAT. The ISP change the PPPoE-IP-Address every 24hours. Of course the typical solution would be to use some DynDNS service or even setup one on a server by yourself. But this is not the required solution.
The required solution: There are no typical servers on the outside that the OpenWrt router could use for connecting to (no VPN-server, no DynDNS-server, ...). Am i right that the only solution in this case is to run a .onion service on the OpenWrt router, connect to it with SSH Setup Tor for port-opening-free ssh/config access and then check the clearnet-IP-address? For better response-times or using other ports except the single open SSH-.onion-port the connection to the .onion can be turned off and the now known clearnet-IP-address can be used for direct connection to services running on the OpenWrt device.

Please explain the use case.

You've created a second topic...and merely referenced the first topic in its entirety.

(And [some of] the Regulars in the community think it's kinda rude to reference/quote them "randomly".)

Please explain how one is related to another? (you don't need to open ports to run a Tor HiddenService)

Because my answers would be:

• The IP address (DUH)
  • The correctly configured PTR address from the ISP (which should have an A Record)

If you can open the port, why are you mentioning placing your router on the "dark web"??? :thinking:

EDIT:

You really need to answer this question.

1 Like

If you can open the port, why are you mentioning placing your router on the "dark web"???

I wrote:

The ISP change the PPPoE-IP-Address every 24hours

Sorry for not be that clear.
After 24hours and 1 minute there is always for sure a new IP address that is unknown. That is why i cant connect any more to the device after 24hours and 1 minute. I can think of using .onion, connect to it and then check what public IP it got.
Is there any other solution?

Please explain the use case.

In the mentioned thread before the use case was a OpenWrt router behind a NAT that cant be configured.
This is a thread for a different use case. In this use case the NAT is configurable. Thus a clearnet-IP address could be used - if its known after 24hours and 1 minute when it have changed again.

I read that; but it doesn't explain why a DDNS service doesn't solve the issue (like most other people).

Why...doesn't the DDNS renew?

So...why do you think an Onion would keep connection if the IP changed???

Some regulars discussed this when TeamViewer was mentioned...it was assumed you don't actually control the network. You just admitted as much.

:confused:

ummmm....OK......

Then I'm lost why you need to replace DynDNS. My answer would be:

• another DDNS service

Simple. (and it doesn't explain why you mentioned "Tor" if you said "clearnet-ip"...which is exactly what you explained in the last thread...) :confused:

Are you saying you have some TCP connection that drops after 24 hours and 1 minute???

Please clearly explain.

1 Like

Its about having a central-server-free solution. DynDNS would require some central server.

Are you saying you have some TCP connection that drops after 24 hours and 1 minute???

The whole internet connection (TCP, UDP,...) that have been connected to goes offline after 24hours. Then it appears 1-2minutes later again online with a new IP(now unknown) address.

Then:

This is the reason for DDNS. You haven't stated anything new since ISPs issued Public IPv4 addresses for service over 25 years ago...

• Build something that tells you your own public IP address, then use it (e.g. via email)
  • Use an IPv6 address by setting up a tunnel (but then you rely on the IPv6 tunnel provider's server/router)

Placing your router on Onion may decentralize it; but still requires MORE servers...and other known issues on the "dark web" of registering a HiddenService. :warning:

That's your decision...and if that's your choice, this is just a duplicate thread.

1 Like

There is no other decentralized solution for DDNS? I know DDNS for many years. The only decentralized replacement of it i could think of is running a tor/i2p/gnunet service. In this thread i would like to ask the other forum users if they know something else. Maybe i have missed some development in the last years that could provide such a solution.

Using (automated-)e-mail or some (ipv6-)tunnel-provider i would again rely on a single server/provider like when running DDNS.

(Then you still rely on your own infrastructure and the Global DNS infrastructure - your domain registrar and DNS provider.)

You rely on some other server/provider anytime you employ a solution that doesn't simply use the ISP-issued address on the WAN interface. :wink:

(Think about it.)

Again:

1 Like

Yes, i know that. But in this case i differ between registration-free-traffic routing servers on the internet like tor and the most hops my traffic passes on the clearnet and on the other side registration-enforcing single-point-of-failure servers/providers.
Maybe someone else know some solution i dont know of or maybe in some months someone would answer to this thread with something new that does not exist now.

1 Like
  • I'm lost at why you think others didn't read the last thread too; but OK.
  • Quantum computing is coming to the consumer in a couple of years...by then it would be like "predicting" the correct node and port...perhaps you're an AI from the future seeking such a solution.

It was a pleasure to chat with you.

("I want to find a decentralized way to reach my Public IP - without using the IP; and I don't want to use any other node or network infrastructure for connecting to or referencing the connection to said Public IP.")

??????????

I think you are confusing DNS hostnames and IP packets. Or you live in DPR..k.

A lot of what you're saying are separate matters of servers and networking - all mixed up.

It's very difficult when you refuse to answer most of my questions...so I wish you well.

EDIT: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/address

If a particular network is not listed on Wikipedia, it means the network is not popular.
If a network is not popular, it cannot be considered decentralized.
If it is not decentralized, it does not fit your conditions.

The only decentralized connectivity provisioning alternative to well known overlay networks is IPv6.
Though, you still need to rely on DDNS if the ISP does not provide a static IP address.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.