Topton 12th Gen OpenWrt Appliance

Hello folks, it's me again, this time I'm going to purchase the Topton 12th Gen Appliance with the following specs:

• Intel Core i3-N305 CPU
  • 2 ports of Intel 82599ES 10 Gbps SFP+
  • 4 ports of Intel i226-V 2.5 Gbps RJ45
  • 8 GBs of DDR5 RAM
  • 128 GBs of M.2 NVMe

I'm not quite sure the default Generic x86/64 of OpenWrt can utilize all of the power of this piece of hardware or not but I found out kmod-ixgbe was the driver for the SFP+ and kmod-igc was the driver for Intel i225 (not i226). Is there anything I missed for the following packages that I'm going to build for this appliance?

base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear e2fsprogs firewall4 fstools grub2-bios-setup kmod-amazon-ena kmod-amd-xgbe kmod-bnx2 kmod-button-hotplug kmod-e1000 kmod-e1000e kmod-forcedeth kmod-fs-vfat kmod-igb kmod-igc kmod-ixgbe kmod-nft-offload kmod-r8169 kmod-tg3 libc libgcc libustream-mbedtls logd luci mkf2fs mtd netifd nftables odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg partx-utils ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd iptables-nft ip6tables-nft luci-app-mwan3 luci-ssl

Link of the product in AliExpress: Topton 12th Gen Firewall Appliance 2*10G SFP Intel i3-N305 N200 N100 4x i226-V 2.5G DDR5 NVMe Soft Router Mini PC Proxmox Server - AliExpress

Thank you for the supports!

kmod-ixgbe is the only thing that's not preinstalled in a default image, so have a try with that (combined-efi images). x86_64 has the advantage that you can't really brick it, so just try it until it works - you don't even need to touch the SSD until you're happy, just use (boot from-) a USB stick for testing.

1 Like

But I saw the kmod-ixgbe in 23.05.3 version of OpenWrt, perhaps you chose the older one?

Appears that way, yes - just test it and work from there.

1 Like

I'm using the Nano Pi R6S and it has the option in Firewall for enabling Routing/NAT Offloading with 3 features as below:

This hardware works so good at nearly everything but when I tried to build a firmware on my own, I could not see those kinds of features, maybe I missed some packages?

Here is the link to their images: 01_Official images - Google Drive

I always ask myself how comes the customized firmware (FriendlyWrt) is 30 times bigger in size comparing to the official one, is there any way I can capture all of the packages over there and try to build the same but with official OpenWrt instead?

Please post

ubus call system board

from both devices as it appears you are not really using OpenWRT.

A device I'm mentioning in this post is "I'm going to purchase" and another device I clearly stated that it was using FriendlyWrt from FriendlyElec, however, the FriendlyWrt is based on OpenWrt, not sure why you told me that I was not really using OpenWrt?

However, here is the thing that you want:

Your server is so overpowered foropenwrt that i would suggest running some virtualisation platform with multiple embedded network operating systems across

1 Like

Here is something in my Home Lab:

Virtualisation would help to compact it :wink:

you will not get fullcone button in real openwrt.

1 Like

As I told you in another post that I was not quite familiar with Virtualization outside than Hyper-V so set it up will require a lot of time for self-studying... This thread is about me and a new piece of hardware for OpenWrt that I'm afraid I cannot utilize it well using official image. Maybe I need to use some... third party image such as BleachWrt, ImmortalWrt, etc.? I'm still new to this system.

The HP Z440 has been there for a while already if you ask:

You need to ask for friendly-whatever help in friendlies' forum, not here

Hey I did ask for the system that I'm going to purchase for using with OpenWrt, not the R6S you asked me to give you the ubus command, if you don't want to help people like me, you can go, no need for wandering around asking people to virtualize everything.

This is not a correct place to demand 3-button offloading. Nothing wrong with your builds, they come out with openwrt customary 2 buttons.

I'd recommend checking here: https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi

kind of you cannot run multiple rouers easily on single openwrt, but you can on any desktop linux.

How can I know if I missed any packages that can provide those "3-buttons offloading" in OpenWrt? I'm still new to OpenWrt, that's why I asked.

Did you mean the official OpenWrt only provide Software & Hardware flow offloading but not the Fullcone NAT?

I've just known Kimchi but again, this thread is only for the hardware that I'm going to purchase with the 10 Gbps interfaces, I will try KVM you mentioned but not now. Thanks.

Relative to the standard OpenWrt image, you shouldn't need to do anything aside from adding the relevant drivers for the NICs.

It seems that the rest of the topic has veered off-topic, though...

Regarding virtualization -- I would recommend against virtualizing OpenWrt unless you have a specific need to do so and experience with virtual environments. There are many reasons to run bare metal -- from security to performance to stability.

2 Likes

On topic, as demanded by OP

That was actually when it started to veer off topic in the first place since it was dealing with a device that has specific hardware offloading features.

The OP will probably not need to use any special offloading because the x86 processor will be sufficiently powerful. I believe that software flow offloading is available on x86, but hardware offloading usually requires hardware that is optimized for routing (which will not be found in a typical x86 device).

Thank you for clarification, above all else, I am the person who doesn't want this topic to go... off-topic though :sweat_smile:

Do you have any recommendation on things I need to do to utilize and optimize all of the raw power of this hardware after the installation of OpenWrt? As last time I tried installed on another custom mini-pc with N4100 with I226-V NIC but the speed I got from the NIC is only 1.3 Gbps to the Internet (with mwan3 to combine 2 ISPs running 1Gbps to Internet for each of them) comparing with the Nano Pi R5S at that time. @brada4 suggested me to try irqbalance but unfortunately, I returned the PC to the seller already.

irqbalance is needed for most PC hardware as most drivers start irq threads on 1st cpu0. You need to balance multiwan. you will not get aggregate 2+2gbps in a single tcp connection.

1 Like