Toplevel.mk:183: world Error 2 & .tools_install_yyn... Error 2 Ubuntu 18.10

With kernel 4.18.0-10 on Ubuntu 18.10 trying to compile OpenWrt (openwrt-ar150-2.264.bin) with WiFi Pineapple Nano version 1.0.6. The full make logs are here.

It ends with:

make[1]: *** [tools/Makefile:121: /home/osboxes/openwrt-cc/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.tools_install_yynyynynynyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyynyyyyynnyyynyyynnnyy] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/osboxes/openwrt-cc'
make: *** [/home/osboxes/openwrt-cc/include/toplevel.mk:183: world] Error 2

Not sure if these at the beginning matter:

Argument "4.2.1" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at /home/osboxes/openwrt-cc/scripts/feeds line 25.
Argument "4.2.1" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at /home/osboxes/openwrt-cc/scripts/feeds line 25.
Argument "4.2.1" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at ./scripts/feeds line 25.
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/osboxes/openwrt-cc'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/osboxes/openwrt-cc'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/osboxes/openwrt-cc'

I see these errors with other routers but nothing has worked so far, including installing automake.

uClibc-0.9.33.2 is not used in any of the current OpenWrt branches

It seems that you are trying to build something ancient with an up-to-date build host. CC15.05? Why are you trying to compile something ancient?

The source code in the deprecated CC15.05 is likely not fully compatible with the current Ubuntu 18.10 host tools.

If you really need to get 15.05 compiled, your best bet to compile that ancient source code is to use an ancient build host (from the same period). Install Ubuntu 14.10 to Virtualbox or something, and use that OS from year 2014 to compile the source code from the same time.

It's a project for a course I'm taking. The instructions do call for Ubuntu 14 but I'm trying to see if 18 will work as a kind of extra credit project.

As you see, it won't work.

Ubuntu 18.10 has new versions of the compilation tools (like gcc, automake, ... whatever) that are used in the initial tools & toolchain compilation phase, and the ancient CC15.05 source code is not compatible with the new versions in new Ubuntu.

1 Like

Similarly, if it says you should use a 32-bit distro, you are potentially in for some big, potentially bricking surprises if you use a 64-bit distro and it "successfully" builds.

So there's no way to downgrade or for use of older packages? I know it would be easier to just use Ubuntu 14 but I was trying to get creative to have the lab work with Ubuntu 18.

To get Ubuntu 14 to work like Ubuntu 16, you basically need to replace everything related to the build chain with versions equivalent to those on Ubuntu 14, if they exist.

Faster to spin up a VM an install the "right" version of the OS. Shouldn't take more than 15 min., including getting a coffee while the Ubuntu grinds away. Debian might be a tad faster, but neither onerous.