TOH ERROR ? [Linksys E8450 (aka. Belkin RT3200)]

Hi saw a video where someone said that the latest stable release works with Linksys E8450 (aka. Belkin RT3200), however the table of hardware says we can only use a snapshot.

I would like to know please if Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 is supported with latest stable or not ?

Please let me know how do we install either a perm or temp config without bricking the machine? What are the updated instructions?

Thanks.

In coming stable, current snapshots and RCs.

3 Likes

There are 6 RCs for 22.03 ... what should I be looking for ?

It was a great youtuber that was suggested that perhaps the TOH has simply not been updated but 22.03 is stable release for RT 3200 is this incorrect?

I am confused if TOH has just not been updated or if in fact the latest stable does not support it.

How do we make sure ?

Latest stable is 21.02, it doesn't support it.

Get the 22.03 RC6, it's as close to a stable you'll get.

And never trust YouTube:ers.

4 Likes

Is there some secret tricks to installing 22.03 RC6 on this device for the first time ? What part of the guide is relevant as it appears to not be updated ?

Please help, I am really looking forward to trying openwrt on this device . Thanks.

Whatever's in there, is valid, just download the rc6 instead if the snapshot, and follow the guide.

Seems more complicated, is rc6 UBI or non-UBI ?

Since 2021-08-27, it is no longer possible to keep the default vendor flash layout (a.k.a. “non-UBI”)

1 Like

The guides seem all over the place, is there a strightforward way to install Openwrt on this device ?

Really?

It's like 4 lines of text...

You should likely install the ubi variant, as it is more suitable for long-term use.

The first-time ubi installer and advice is found at the author's site.

Basically, if you have OEM firmware 1.0 running in your router, you only need to

• use the OEM GUI to flash the ubi-initramfs-recovery-installer.itb image,
  • boot the device (to the OpenWrt recovery iniramfs instance) and
  • Use OpenWrt GUI to sysupgrade to the normal ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb image.

(The advice for backup etc. is optional)

EDIT:
Apparently the "signed" version of the installer image is accepted by the newer Belkin flash routines...

Upstream firmware version 1.1.01.272918 or higher, including 1.2.x require using the _signed.itb image instead.

1 Like

This is very helpful Thank You! Please forgive me I am a noob and ifrst time working with this so I have a few questions:

1. If not version 1.0, is there a simple way to downgrade ? No download available from manufacturer :frowning:

2. use the OEM GUI to flash the ubi-initramfs-recovery-installer.itb image
    -> is this done over USB and how do you flash to the recovery image?

3. boot the device to the OpenWrt recovery iniramfs instance
    ->How to select that boot option?

4. OpenWrt GUI to sysupgrade to the normal ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb image
    -> How do I do this, do I connect a keyboard what directory kind of lost.

Why don't you read the manual? You ask a lot of questions that are already answered there. There is a link to the 1.0 firmware.

It is not done over USB. You use the firmware GUI and pick the file from your computer.

You don't need to select anything for that. The device will do it after you flash the recovery.

You do it from Openwrt GUI in your computer browser.

Warning: all these questions mean that you have not enough basic knowledge to flash and operate Openwrt. Maybe it is not a good idea to do it at this point.

1 Like