TL-WR842ND Change transmission power

I'd like to thank you for the short-term help.

My router has open wrt,
speaks German, and now has a current operating system.

Extensions are unfortunately not possible due to the small memory.

Thanks for the great, free program.

1 Like

@Conny If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. (Click the pencil behind the topic...)

So is not it better to use another channel if these 3 channels that do not overlap are too saturated?

As far as I know, using a non-overlapping channel is still better than using a different channels, even if it "appears" to be clearer.

If, for instance, you choose channel 3, you are actually interfering with the neighboring devices working on both channels 1 and 6! In fact, even if there was nobody on channel 1, you choosing channel 6 (for example) and co-operating with other devices on that frequency is better than the interference you will get (and cause) by working on channel 3.

More reading here
http://web.archive.org/web/20150502223736/http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/channel/deployment/guide/Channel.html

No, as you've seen in @Hegabo's link, (non-HT40) WLAN channel needs a bandwidth of 20 MHz, which corresponds to- and covers 3 full WLAN channels, meaning they'll remain congested.

With full overlap (multiple APs around you using the same three common channels), your devices can't join the other networks, but they can still see and understand the (encrypted) traffic of the other APs and wait for their turn, according to the normal congestion avoidance methods. With partial overlap, the channels are still taken up, but your AP (and its associated clients) only see illegible interference, which doesn't allow effective congestion avoidance (both sides lose, considerably).

Keep in mind that, as a rule of thumb, senders (APs/ STAs) remain a source of interference ~three times farther than you can actually detect them as a valid WLAN APs (as you can scan for their ESSID), another reason to stick to the three common channels even if you don't actually see other APs in range.

1 Like