TL-WR841N v13 WiFi not stable?

That's safe mode afaik. That doesn't mount /overlay so you are back to default packages & settings. From there, you could mount /overlay, remove the default packages, install the newer mt76 ones and modprobe them, and see if that breaks your build.

LEDE is 17.01.x BTW, OpenWrt is 18.06.

If I am not wrong then that's U-boot and kernel doesn't have ssh so I am not sure how can interact with it, is there anyway to connect to it so that I can mount and test?

On the stripped down version (Snapshot) when i tried installing kmod-mt76x2 packages from the link mentioned by you, I got several dependencies error. For few of the package (common, core) I tried it installing dependent pack but still having many errors therefore I dropped it. I think i need to compile it which will require lot if time and I don't have much knowledge

Actually, I have tried all the possible builds - Snapshot, LEDE, full firmware with LUCI, few of them compiled by @julianocs but unfortunately none of them worked for me :frowning:

@Santosh

I'm unable to reproduce your problem. I loaded custom-built snapshot r9071-27be78ef46 some weeks ago from master. 18.06.2 was released after this snapshot.

My WR841 v13 (192.168.2.1) hangs from a second one, so by pinging 192.168.1.1 it has to go trough WAN interface. After more than 1000 pings got 0 timeouts. My laptop connects to WR841 v13 via wifi, with good signal strength

?

I have tried the snaphot version from this weekend and it is not stable for WiFi. (https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/). This contains the Feb 3 commits to mt76.

The snapshot version from about two weeks ago was a lot more stable.

@twinkleLED Can you be more specific about the issues you're experiencing? Packet loss, connection loss, timeouts?

I see:

• connection loss (e.g.already open ssh connections being broken)
  • dropped ping packets (far more often than the normal low background)
  • unable to open web pages (not clear, but DNS not working is one issue)
  • unable to open ssh connection

I then will have some time when things seem to work fine.

Sorry for late reply, I got busy in office work and was doing some more testing.

First off all I have installed the TP-Link original firmware to confirm if there is any hardware issue, but on 3 days usage I didn't observe any packet drop and worked as expected.

Then I have flashed OpenWrt 4.14.98 with SNAPSHOT, r9293-e3311cb on 18.06.2 branch and as you might have guessed it came back to original packet drop issue.

One more I would like to mention is, earlier when I was using 18.06.1 then it was working but sometimes it will simply disconnect all WiFi clients so I wrote a script to restart every time client count was zero. But currently its not even working for me.

Below is the image from speedtest.net

Could you please give me the link where you dont see any issue? (older version)

I can relate few issue with my router too but SSH connection never lost in my case, but if I ping google.com then in every 15 icmp request next 5 packets will be dropped and then again network will be restored.

Sorry, all I can say is -as before- that I'm using custom build of r9071-27be78ef46

Yesterday I noticed (as reported by twinkleLED) that open of web pages was very slow, DNS looked as stalled but then there was not ping at all. So I guess connections were lost. After restart, i got connection loss again in very short time. Before that, I have been working with that router for more than a week without noticing any problems.

It does seem the problems happen intensely for a period, and then seemingly go away for a while.

I'm using snapshot r9258-420376a.
I think that the only issue that I can relate to is webpages not opening or taking too long in some cases (as if the DNS took more than the average time to respond). Other than that, it has worked reasonably well. No ping drops (in a 1000 ping sample), no ssh connection drop or problem establishing said connection.

To be fair, all the things that work well are using a wired connection, the webpage load lag or failure happens sometimes using wifi. Also, I'm not using the device as a router, rather as an AP.

Here's an example of a 48h ICMP monitoring session to a WiFi connected printer:

ping

To test I am pump data to an upstream server over the wifi connection. It works fine for a while, and then there are periods when it stalls, as shown in the chart below.

Interestingly the tx retry rate is quite high. Below is from the router's prespective.

# iw dev wlan0 station dump
Station xx:yy:zz (on wlan0)
        inactive time:  0 ms
        rx bytes:       3387487657
        rx packets:     2893513
        tx bytes:       106736789
        tx packets:     1433994
        tx retries:        949590
        tx failed:      3478
        rx drop misc:   12
        signal:         -56 [-56, -58] dBm
        signal avg:     -55 [-55, -58] dBm
        tx bitrate:     115.6 MBit/s MCS 13 short GI
        rx bitrate:     115.6 MBit/s MCS 13 short GI
        expected throughput:    51.360Mbps
        authorized:     yes
        authenticated:  yes
        associated:     yes
        preamble:       short
        WMM/WME:        yes
        MFP:            no
        TDLS peer:      no
        DTIM period:    2
        beacon interval:100
        short preamble: yes
        short slot time:yes
        connected time: 762 seconds

What's the tx retry correlated with? tx packets? If it is, then it shows a 66% retry rate.
I am not carrying a test as intensive as this, but one example from normal usage is this:

Station xx:yy:zz (on wlan0)
        inactive time:  3030 ms
        rx bytes:       4182446
        rx packets:     37507
        tx bytes:       43979387
        tx packets:     40300
        tx retries:     21449
        tx failed:      154
        rx drop misc:   366
        signal:         -77 [-77, -78] dBm
        signal avg:     -77 [-77, -78] dBm
        tx bitrate:     26.0 MBit/s MCS 3
        rx bitrate:     6.0 MBit/s
        expected throughput:    20.49Mbps
        authorized:     yes
        authenticated:  yes
        associated:     yes
        preamble:       short
        WMM/WME:        yes
        MFP:            no
        TDLS peer:      no
        DTIM period:    2
        beacon interval:100
        short preamble: yes
        short slot time:yes
        connected time: 11259 seconds

I agree that the retry rate is VERY high

Aweomse! so issue is reproduced :smiley:

upgraded to r9355-94993a79f8

Hello.

Drivers were updated now, but not commited to OpenWRT master yet,
so i made a new build to test...

It´s on my pCloud.
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZXz3T7Zhr7RvDQxnw8YGb6DOA9xdRwVwPbk

Juliano

I have a similar problem, after updating my ** tp-link tl-wdr3600 ** from openwrt 15.05 to 18.06.02 the wireless does not work, exactly as below:

do you have found a solution?

I reported my log in this post:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/tl-wdr4300-no-wireless/32092

Thanks

Changes were commited today to OpenWRT, worth to try.

@re-bob it is completly diffrent chipset.

2 Likes

New update now.

As i was in home and working, i used the spare time of my computer processor to make a new build from latest drivers.

It is on my pCloud, as always...

Juliano