TL-WDR3600 v1.4 hangs/crashes on heavy LAN upload + Wifi download

I have TP-Link TL-WRD3600 v1.4
OpenWrt 19.07.7 r11306-c4a6851c72 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-21.044.30835-34e0d65

I have a pCloud service and trying to sync (upload to the cloud) a large file (~2GB) from my Windows10 PC connected through LAN. The pCloud client reports ~10MB upload speed. All runs fine until I try to watch a Youtube video on my phone. Within seconds the network is down and it seems the router is "dead". It does not respond to pings as well. Power-cycling the device does the job.
My phone is connected to the 2.462 GHz radio. I repeated the test several times with same result.
Any ideas how to approach the problem? I am not an expert in Linux systems, so any hints on diagnostics or log information needed is welcome.

1 Like

I do observe a similar behaviour on two devices (TL-WDR3600 v1.5 and TL-WDR4300 v1.1), using a VDSL2/ PPPoE connection (100/40 MBit/s) and running current ath79/ master (kernel v5.4 and v5.10). In my case, the wireless is configured and up, but without any wireless clients connected - as soon as I stress the router a little from a wired client (e.g. doing a speedtest or downloading a linux ISO between 2-3 GB in size), the router freezes up within rather short time (not responding to pings anymore, some LEDs blinking in regular intervals). With idle usage, the router (merely VoIP/ SIP) can survive several days.

Have you noticed any error messages while keeping an ssh session with "logread -f" running (respectively transmitting the syslog over the network) until it freezes up? I've seen the PPP session being torn down, but no kernel messages indicating a reason for the full freeze making it through the network before the router is dead (I do need to attach a serial console to hopefully gather some further intel).

1 Like

Hi slh,
I haven't done any further diagnostics. As I said I am not an expert in lunux systems and would need to do some reading first. This can take time that I do not have now :frowning: But if you/someone can point me to a brief instructions on forwarded logging and diagnostics - I can read an follow.
It is sad that other people have same problem as it is likely down to a bug in OpenWRT...

My TL-WDR3600 crashes and reboots itself when I do those download/upload speedtests too, it will crash on the upload part. I am on 21.02 now, it used to crash the same way on 19.07 versions.

Have you tried to ssh the device and keep "logread -f" running before it freezes?

I have tried sometimes but I have not managed to get any logs so far

Have you understood what is going on with the wdr3600?

Yesterday I added more cabled computers to the wdr3600 that works as a wi-fi client and it started rebooting all the time now, no stability at all and I could not manage to get any logs at least for now.