TL-WDR3600 v1.4 hangs/crashes on heavy LAN upload + Wifi download

I have TP-Link TL-WRD3600 v1.4
OpenWrt 19.07.7 r11306-c4a6851c72 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-21.044.30835-34e0d65

I have a pCloud service and trying to sync (upload to the cloud) a large file (~2GB) from my Windows10 PC connected through LAN. The pCloud client reports ~10MB upload speed. All runs fine until I try to watch a Youtube video on my phone. Within seconds the network is down and it seems the router is "dead". It does not respond to pings as well. Power-cycling the device does the job.
My phone is connected to the 2.462 GHz radio. I repeated the test several times with same result.
Any ideas how to approach the problem? I am not an expert in Linux systems, so any hints on diagnostics or log information needed is welcome.

1 Like

I do observe a similar behaviour on two devices (TL-WDR3600 v1.5 and TL-WDR4300 v1.1), using a VDSL2/ PPPoE connection (100/40 MBit/s) and running current ath79/ master (kernel v5.4 and v5.10). In my case, the wireless is configured and up, but without any wireless clients connected - as soon as I stress the router a little from a wired client (e.g. doing a speedtest or downloading a linux ISO between 2-3 GB in size), the router freezes up within rather short time (not responding to pings anymore, some LEDs blinking in regular intervals). With idle usage, the router (merely VoIP/ SIP) can survive several days.

Have you noticed any error messages while keeping an ssh session with "logread -f" running (respectively transmitting the syslog over the network) until it freezes up? I've seen the PPP session being torn down, but no kernel messages indicating a reason for the full freeze making it through the network before the router is dead (I do need to attach a serial console to hopefully gather some further intel).

1 Like

Hi slh,
I haven't done any further diagnostics. As I said I am not an expert in lunux systems and would need to do some reading first. This can take time that I do not have now :frowning: But if you/someone can point me to a brief instructions on forwarded logging and diagnostics - I can read an follow.
It is sad that other people have same problem as it is likely down to a bug in OpenWRT...

My TL-WDR3600 crashes and reboots itself when I do those download/upload speedtests too, it will crash on the upload part. I am on 21.02 now, it used to crash the same way on 19.07 versions.

Have you tried to ssh the device and keep "logread -f" running before it freezes?

I have tried sometimes but I have not managed to get any logs so far

Have you understood what is going on with the wdr3600?

Yesterday I added more cabled computers to the wdr3600 that works as a wi-fi client and it started rebooting all the time now, no stability at all and I could not manage to get any logs at least for now.

Hi there, I had a similar problem with my router GL iNet AR300M, on which I have openwrt installed. In my case I have also installed tailscale, and it turned out to that the device related to it had a different MTU than the rest of the devices (1200 vs 1500 the others). Setting it to 1500 solved the problem and also increased the throughput through the router brutally (speed tests after reported 10x faster speed basically).

I think the reason is that MTU controls whether we have to fragment a frame or not: if we have different devices connected with different MTUs then we are forcing the router to split these frames for us in order to make it fit to the next stage in the pipeline. If we send more data than the one that the router can process then it will simply put those frames on a queue, eating memory until there is no more finally crashing. But if they all have the same MTU the router won't be stressed anymore. Hope it helps others.