Titles can't have emoji!

4 Likes

1 Like

@MangoMan how do you post a gif on this forum? Share your l33t hacking skills please! :keyboard::desktop_computer::man_teacher:

2 Likes

URLs are addresses, addresses need to be typable and readable (think braille terminals for a minute - or just mild cases of colour blindness and 255 shades of pink); whoever thought RFC 3492 would be a great idea ought to rot in /dev/null as well.

3 Likes

1 Like
  • Titles ought to support emojis
  • No freakin' way should titles support emojis
  • Mangoman is trolling

0 voters

320x320

2 Likes
  • Mangoman is trolling, that's all.

0 voters

2 Likes

They are. You are making a wrong assumption that emojis in the title need to be part of the url, for example look at this here:

See the two emojis in the beginning :point_right: :lock: :pushpin:

...both are not part of the URL itself: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/about-the-hardware-questions-and-recommendations-category/2186

No problems what so ever!

1 Like

except that's showing the post is locked and also pinned. That is useful info and standard to most forum software. And yes. not part of the URL.

I definitely agree that pictures can be extremely helpful in conveying thoughts and ideas and livening things up.

But there is something different and unique about emojis. I am guilty of using them myself from time to time, but I wonder if there is something to be said for more practice in framing things in plain old words? I mean sometimes emojis can kind of cheapen interaction, right?

And anyway, aren't emojis mainly for use by generation snowflake?

I concur with the sentiments raised here:

3 Likes

As the great Samuel L once said :

:warning: NSFW - Swearing

2 Likes

It's also standard (default even on in discourse afaik) and useful to have emojis in the title (imho). It was activily turned off in this forum. I could expect it was one #grumpyold... who turned it off - was it you @mercygroundabyss? :joy:

Like the example I showed already earlier in this very forum here :point_down:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/activate-poe-passthrough-on-boot/85801

So beside people here giving there opinion and some trying to defend the status quo with weird (some might want to call it false) arguments and conclusions (someone forgot to mention eye cancer :eye:) the question still stands:

Maybe the leader @tmomas knows more?

Should i call the admin and ask him to rename this topic to "The OT post?"

1 Like

I called the leader already :sunglasses:

Summoning Admins is like summoning Cthulhu - Not always wise
Best of luck.

2 Likes

I'm quite confident it was a admin who turned the function off - a moderator shouldn't have the rights to do so...

So to get a light :bulb: in the dark :see_no_evil: it was the only solution to summon cthulhu the leader :crown:

If wisely used by it's authors (that's for sure not guranteed) it's actually not even necessary to "translate" emoji's.

Actually they tend to give a much better overview when browsing the (long) thread list(s) as they are much easier to keep apart than letters alone :bulb:

No eye bleeding? No unreadable URLs? No seo problems? No cancer? :thinking:

:+1:

1 Like

@mercygroundabyss

:rofl:

1 Like

To be fair looks like you have some convincing to do yet to secure a majority!