Time limit for editing old messages is two months?

@Mijzelf - I tend to agree. However, TL1 and TL0 are controlled by a single time limit setting. Disallowing TL0 from editing is a Boolean. That's what we have to work with.

I think it is done to avoid necroposting. Why not? It is better to create the new topic. Then update the old one.

Today I found my unofficial device support thread was unable to be edited/updated:

I use the top-post as a reference to update links and other reference info.

If I have to make a new post for each release or minor update I'll start doing that.

Editing old threads can be used by spammers, who post innocent messages, then wait untill the thread is no longer active, and edit their messages to add the links.

That topic is not restricted regarding editing.

Ran across this issue today. I cant edit my own post from a cpl days ago. Being still classified as a new user I can only reply to a post 3 times then I get an error message saying to visit other posts or edit an existing reply. Cant do that. Tried deleting a previous reply and the reply stays on the post with the message deleted by author and I still can't reply with an update on what I found on this device. Now I know why a lot of the posts are so short with only a few replies because new users trying to contribute or look for help can only reply 3 times and then they can't communicate anymore on that post. Stupid.

I am in a similar situation. I started a popular topic which currently has 32k views. It is full of dead links, omissions and errors. I cannot update first post to provide users with summary and TOC.

I have been on this forum for a few years now and I think I have proven I am not a spammer.

You are currently TL1. Once you have reached TL2, you can edit your posts indefinetely.

Until then: Why don't you create a devicepage in the wiki for documentation, and use the forum for discussion?

2 Likes