Time limit for editing old messages is two months?

In the openwrt forum one could delete posts, and if the first posting of a thread were deleted the whole thread disappeared, IIRC.

I didn't know this software kept history.

I retract my complaint in it's entirety.

As long as you cannot delete your posts, I wouldn't see any problem with not having a time limit on edits.
I am on another forum and there was an issue with someone deleting the first post in a thread (he had progressed from a really sketchy looking truck build to a nice looking one and wanted to end the replies to his old threads about the previous iterations). When he deleted that post, it then deleted the whole 2000 post thread. That really annoyed everyone else who had posted (and in some cases, shared tech info that would be useful for someone else).

Aaron Z

OK folks - time limit on editing is now set to 0 (forever). If this is unacceptable, we can always try something else.

1 Like

Thanks. Editing old message works again. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply, just wanted to voice my acknowledgement here. I see no issue with having unlimited edit time since discourse makes the change history easily accessible.

1 Like

Found the old thread :wink:

@tmomas @thess @jow
It seems that something has changed (yesterday?) on the forum settings.

I can't edit any of my old messages that are more than one month old. Looking at my old messages, editing is possible for messages later than Aug 7, so I assume that a "one month" limit was activated somehow.

Pretty hard to edit the community build threads :frowning:
(like Build for WNDR3700v1/v2 / WNDR3800)

There was originally that kind of limit in Discourse, but it was removed right after the forum was started and the issue was noticed in December 2016.

Editing should work again now, please check.

1 Like

Thanks.
It works again :wink:

Apparently a recent update added an additional parameter for post editing time limits replacing just the one and reseting the values to the default. A TL0 or TL1 user has 1 day and everyone else at TL2 or higher has 30 day time limits. I think restricting TL0 from post editing is also desirable - thoughts?

This move was made to help deal with spambots (human and otherwise) which are intelligent enough to optimize for Discourse’s built-in spam filters. They first make a comment without any links, and later on they’ll edit and add the link. Discourse doesn’t catch them this way.

Proposed settings for us:

• TL0 - no edit
  • TL1 - 1 day
  • TL2 and above - no limit.
1 Like

Looking good!

1 Like

That's a bit harsh. It often happens to me I see faults in my post directly after submitting. How about an hour?

@Mijzelf - I tend to agree. However, TL1 and TL0 are controlled by a single time limit setting. Disallowing TL0 from editing is a Boolean. That's what we have to work with.

I think it is done to avoid necroposting. Why not? It is better to create the new topic. Then update the old one.

Today I found my unofficial device support thread was unable to be edited/updated:

I use the top-post as a reference to update links and other reference info.

If I have to make a new post for each release or minor update I'll start doing that.

Editing old threads can be used by spammers, who post innocent messages, then wait untill the thread is no longer active, and edit their messages to add the links.

That topic is not restricted regarding editing.

Ran across this issue today. I cant edit my own post from a cpl days ago. Being still classified as a new user I can only reply to a post 3 times then I get an error message saying to visit other posts or edit an existing reply. Cant do that. Tried deleting a previous reply and the reply stays on the post with the message deleted by author and I still can't reply with an update on what I found on this device. Now I know why a lot of the posts are so short with only a few replies because new users trying to contribute or look for help can only reply 3 times and then they can't communicate anymore on that post. Stupid.

I am in a similar situation. I started a popular topic which currently has 32k views. It is full of dead links, omissions and errors. I cannot update first post to provide users with summary and TOC.

I have been on this forum for a few years now and I think I have proven I am not a spammer.

You are currently TL1. Once you have reached TL2, you can edit your posts indefinetely.

Until then: Why don't you create a devicepage in the wiki for documentation, and use the forum for discussion?

2 Likes