Throughput keeps going up and down

54%20PM

Hi Folks,

I've installed OpenWRT and I've been running it for a while now. I've always wanted to figure out why throughput is not constant (Ignore that single drop to 0Mbit/s, that was my download client). It goes up and down between 300 Mbps and 150 Mbps. Please see the above graph. Any ideas? I was downloading a big file from the Internet onto my MacPro on my LAN.

I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS, so I doubt there are any CPU/memory issues here.

I think this has to do with the NAT by hardware that have the original firmwares. I do not know if it has something similar OpenWRT.

I can see twenty peaks/valleys in the graph over a one minute period.
Luci updates the screen every three seconds so this could be related to cpu load of Luci

try disabling auto refresh (auto refresh off) in luci for a period and recheck be enabling again

2 Likes

As @mbo2o mentioned LuCI is a bit crude when it comes to graphing (and not entirely accurate) so I'd suggest that you use something like netdata instead which will (most likely) show you a smooth graph rather than a sawtooth. https://github.com/openwrt/packages/tree/master/admin/netdata

2 Likes

Thanks! Does collectd do a good job as well? Looks like netdata installation is somewhat more involved.

netdata works out of the box (no configuration needed), collectd works fine too

You folks were right. I installed collectd and it seems I get more or less 35MB/s sustained.