Throughput Issue Between WAN and LAN Interfaces

I'm seeing a massive drop in throughput and suspect it is a software configuration issue.

Cavium Octeon III device, 1000BaseT Ethernet ports.

Running a Speedtest on the device:

Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Cedarville University (Cedarville, OH) [85.87 km]: 38.629 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 91.01 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 11.45 Mbit/s

On the device connected through the device:

Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by MVECA (Yellow Springs, OH) [86.42 km]: 43.889 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 7.58 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 11.79 Mbit/s

I'm using a mostly base configuration for packages. I'm not running snort and the default firewall config.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can check?

I wouldn't call it latency without checking the ping speed (and that would need to be for the same route).

Also to compare the bandwidth, you should do it for the same server.

2 Likes

Sorry, you're right. Latency should be changed to throughput and I'll repost the compare when I get back home (to the same --server)

However, I'm still seeing a 10 fold drop in throughput. If I connect the laptop (wired) to the network, I consistently see the 90MBs/11MBs. This stays the same whether I'm measuring straight the laptop or from the Shield device. When I pull THROUGH the shield device, it drops to 7-9MBs/11MBs (down/up).

The chipset is a dual core 1.2Ghz Octeon III, 1Gb RAM (most of which is showing free), so I'm more inclined to look at a software config issue than hardware, but I won't rule it out.

Unfortunately, I've never dealt with OpenWrt or it's packages.

From the Laptop

grommish@gribbits:~/openwrt51/files/etc$ speedtest --server 16969
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Spectrum (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Retrieving information for the selected server...
Hosted by Spectrum (Columbus, OH) [152.98 km]: 30.861 ms
Download: 11.22 Mbit/s
Upload: 11.87 Mbit/s

From the Shield:

root@OpenWrt:/# speedtest --server 16969
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Spectrum (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Retrieving information for the selected server...
Hosted by Spectrum (Columbus, OH) [152.98 km]: 23.302 ms
Download: 92.06 Mbit/s
Upload: 12.10 Mbit/s
root@OpenWrt:/# 

Appears it is a heat related issue. It appears the board is thermal throttling and killing the speed.

Thanks for all the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.