The wiki doesn't have exact guide how to install OpenWrt on WR842N v5. Can you help me?

The first trouble is that there's no factory image for that platform. So, I'm forced to install it via tftp.
The second is atftpd runs in daemon mode, so no logs.
Third, I don't know if I have to use atftpd or atftp.
Fourth, internet connection is reset during router reset both on Windows and Linux. So, any network stuff just dies before the device boots.
If, on Windows, I don't bind tftp64 to the 192.168.0.66 address, it resets at 127.0.0.1 interface too.
Maybe I should use 192.168.1.66?
Also, I don't see any firmware upload requests on Wireshark. So how it should actually work?
P.S I'm trying to upload the firmware via Ethernet LAN. Is that correct?

You can keep the PC from dropping the port by connecting a basic unmanaged Ethernet switch between the PC and the router. The PC will always see Ethernet carrier from the switch and not reconfigure its port.

1 Like

Will my UPS work as a switch?

Sorry. It won't. And I don't have any switches. How then could I get serial console?

Wireshark tells me that it's probably 192.168.0.225.

It is true. Wireshark reports an attempt to read file tp_recovery.bin.

bad address: openwrt.org when trying to ping.
It seems that MAC override is not working.

How to clone WAN MAC?

Did that via ifconfig eth0:2 hw ether.

Somehow the wan connection got bridged, which disabled the internet. Disabled the bridge, and the internet is working again.

You must bind tftp64 to the interface possessing the 192.168.0.x IP address.

I have the same problem, I assigned only the ip address 192.168.0.225.
Tftp32 changes 192.168.0.225 to 127.0.0.1.
How can I do so without a switch to upgrade wifi to OpenWrt?
Can I use other programs to install the tftp server? (For example: tftpServ)
And I understand that router cannot be flashed through the web interface?
Thank you for your attention and response.

It doesn't matter which tftp server you use, as long as it works (the recommendations do mention known-working examples though).

Push-button tftp recovery only works over wired ethernet, not wlan, it can help (significantly) to put an unmanaged switch between the router and client (hosting the tftpd), to avoid the time needed for link-training (short tftp windows), but if this is necessary or optional depends on a lot of factors (both devices in question, the host OS on your client, etc. pp.).

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, I have an idea about the commutator :nerd_face: , maybe I will be able to reflash the router. Goodbye.